cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Wiring to my apartment

Go to solution
Hi all. I have a bit of a technical query which might be hard to answer but ill give it a shot. I moved into a new apartment. I ordered broadband and telephone line. From what i can see there is no wiring to my apartment from an outside line such as you would get in a house. One telephone socket is in the bedroom connected to slots 2 and 5 on the back with the blue wires. This socket works fine. In the living room there is an nte5 bt mk2 master socket connected at the a and b posts with the green wires. There is no dial tone from this socket but as my broadband isnt live i cant confirm if broadband is present there. Has anyone encountered this before? There is also another extension running off the nte5 to the other side of the room. So i assume this socket will work for broadband??? Looks like the last tennant did this so there router could be near the tv. The other socket in the bedroom is just a plain wall socket and it seems there is 2 sets of cable entering there but only one connected to the faceplate as i said before, the blue wires to 2 and 5. The wires have blue, green, brown and orange pairs (stripey) in the living room i tried the blue wires to posts 2 and 5 and there was still no dial tone.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wiring to my apartment

Go to solution

Can you either draw a diagram of what is connected to what at each socket or post photos of each socket please. I assume when you say 'working' there is dial tone at the bedroom socket.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
There is a dial tone yes. Cant really draw a diagram as im working off my phone at the moment 😞 basically theres a socket in the bedroom which has 8 core wire with stripes on (like ethernet cable) the 2 blue pairs are connected to 2 and 5 of the socket. There is another cable the same running to that socket which isnt connected to anything. In the living room there is another wall socket, a bt mk 2 filter plate (the one with an adsl filter built in) and the same cable, but only 1 cable this time. And the green pair are connected to the a and b posts of this filter. No dial tone in the living room.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The blue pair connected to 2 & 5 in the bedroom is obviously connected somewhere to the incoming line, where is the other end of that cable? What other connections are there in the living room? The green pair connected to the A & B terminals is an unfiltered data extension for a router. You need to trace where all the cables go and what connections there are in each socket, including in the rear of the NTE5 that is only visible when unscrewing the backplate from the back box. You can just draw a diagram on a piece of paper and post a photo (low tech works fine Smiley Wink )

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
No idea where that cable leads to. Its all built into the walls. And i cant see a visible cable to the building outside. Ill try and take some pics and post them later
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Ok. I took pics but ive sorted it. One of the cables ib the bedroom was the live telephone line. The other was an extension to the living room. Ive switched the sockets over as, in the living room, there was a bt mk3 socket. And in the bedroom, a fancy plain phone socket that matches the plug sockets. I put the blue wires to A and B of the bt socket at the back of the master socket. And ran the other cable to A and B of the mk 3 faceplate on the opposite side. Wired the living room socket to 2 and 5 with the blue wires. And hey presto it all works. I know i shouldnt really be messing with the "master socket" but im not sure it even is. It all looks like extension cat5 maybe? I dont know. But certainly not like what ive seen in my previous house. Hopefully my new fibre will be fine on the living room socket with a filter on. I would have liked to use the bt mk3 filter but alas i decided it was better served in the bedroom so i could sort this out. Ive completly sacked off the other extension in the living room altogether. Thanks for your replies and hopefully my experience/dodgy write up might help someone else. Who knows
0 Ratings