GD1931
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Wiring

I 'm some distance from the exchange, and don't expect too much from my connection, but I can't help thinking that my house wiring contributes to the low speed. The line from the pole to the house was replaced a few years ago, but from a junction box just inside the house to the old-style BT socket there is very elderly wiring. The connection is usually 1.2 Mbps, sometimes less, very occasionally 1.4 Mbps for a few days. I understand that as the voice connection is acceptable I would be expected to pay for replacing the house wiring, but that as it is BT property I'm not allowed to touch it myself.

I have now discovered that a neighbour who is wired to the same pole is getting 2 Mbps or more. The only significant difference is that his overhead line is connected straight into a modern linebox (incidentally his overhead line is twice the length of mine as it takes a dogleg).

Has anyone any advice on how to improve things without it involving a three figure bill?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wiring

Hi all internal extensions after the master socket are your responsibility
Have you tried connecting your hub to the test socket at the rear of the lower removable front plate as this will remove any possible internal wiring issuses could you also please post the following your full hubstats enter 192.168.1.254 into your web browser address bar and once passed the password page navigate to broadband then connection also please run the full Bt speed test and post all details shown then we can help you more
0 Ratings
GD1931
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Sorry didn't make myself clear. I don't have a new style linebox, just a single socket; all the wiring I'm complaining about is BT property.

I'll run the tests and post the figures later.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Do you have any extension wiring connected to the master socket?

0 Ratings
gouldyyyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

If you could take a few pics of the wiring, inside the sockets then that may be of some use to us, and also is your junction box outside or inside the premises?

Without the wiring, as you live on a long line, there are some routers that perform better on the long line, like the BT Business Hub 2700HGV and also getting something like a shielded RJ11 cable instead of a flat thing.
0 Ratings
GD1931
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Sorry for the delay in providing the information requested. The BT speed test was giving the dreaded ''Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message instead of showing the test results. Eventually I thought of trying my laptop using the usual PC's ethernet cable, and it worked there.

Internet connection configuration

Connection information

Connection time 2 days, 12:28:21

Data transmitted/received (MB) 285.42 / 2267.41

Broadband user name bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password ********

TCP/IP settings

Broadband network IP address 217.44.169.191

Default gateway 213.123.80.122

Primary DNS 213.120.234.14

Secondary DNS 213.120.234.2

ADSL line status

Connection information

Line state Connected

Connection time 1 day, 19:16:12

Downstream 1,760 Kbps

Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.4 dB / 14.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 60.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 15.6 dBm / 11.9 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 13

Loss of Signal (Local) 1

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 656843 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 1428 / N/A

HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0

Error Seconds (Local) 4852

BT Speed Test Download speed 1.2 Mbps

(Acceptable 400Kbps-2Mbps)

Your DSL Connection Rate 1.76 Mbps (DOWN-STREAM) 448 Kbps (UP-STREAM)

ID Profile for your line is 1.25 Mbps

Pics

P2123148cr.jpgP2123146cr.jpgP1013149cr.jpgP1013150cr.jpg

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Hi you currently have a 1.7mb connection  with a perfect line  i would expect approx 2.5mb could you please try the following 

post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings