Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 62

Re: Woeful Broadband Performance

Go to solution

@arobertson545 wrote:

It's not a trial, it's part of 21CN DLM. It happens on ALL 21CN connections if the connection is stable enough.

The SNR should be 3dB in the day, not 2dB so that is why I suggested connecting to the test socket to see if the SNR was higher there.

that's interesting so what we believed and were told that this was a trial with noise margin at 3db you are saying that it's not a trial but an actual change to the system.  this change only happened late last year about october so it is a change from the original setting which was 6db.  as keith says there are numerous posts on the forum where the 3db is causing high crc errors and slowing download even though connection looks good in all other respects

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Gigabit
Contributor
Message 22 of 62

Go to solution

On the Plusnet forum, many users have a margin of 3dB on 21CN without them doing anything and the staff on there have said nothing about a trial. They consider it be to normal behaviour if the line is stable enough.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 62

Go to solution
With respect how another ISP operate there network is there choice any resets of noise margin carried out by BT are reset to the Default 6 db not 3 db
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 62

Go to solution

you didn't have to do anything to get your margin at 3db - mine is and many others.  however there was posts on the forum last year about trialling 3db on 21CN from people with 'friends' in the know.

there is certainly more problems appearing on the forum where the noise margin is now 3db and the crc/hec errors are very high resulting in poor download on what appears a good connection.  reverting back with assistance to 6db fixes the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 62

Go to solution

correct IMJ when i had a problem a few months ago mine was reset to 6db but after about a month dropped back to 3 db until my change to infinity 

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 62

Go to solution

I have had an email from the forum team moderator saying my profile needs resetting and yo allow 24hrs for it to take effect. Presently my noise margin is 5.5db/6.00db. The PC is now working better than than it has done in months.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Regards

Mike

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 62

Go to solution
hi good news please do keep us informed 🙂
0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 62

Go to solution

I was fully intending this week to report that everything in the garden is rosy and my PC has now settled down and has performed excellently for the last week or so.

My noise margins for the last 8 days or so have been approx 6dB/5dB.

Today I noticed a appreciable drop in speed and checked the noise margins again. They had reverted to 1.4dB/5.6dB. Pretty much what they were when I started.

Throughout the last 8 days or so I was getting a download speed of around 14Mbps and an Upload speed of around 0.9Kbps. 

I ran the BT Broadband speed test this morning and the results were:-

Connection to the Exchange - 20Mbps; Estimated Connection speed - 17.1Mbps.

Actual Download speed - 1.17Mbps; Actual Upload speed - 0.86Kbps; IP Profile 17.67.

Any idea why the noise margins have reverted to their former levels?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 62

Go to solution
hi could you please run another speedtest using speedtest.net as the bt tester has been playing up recently a new version is expected soon
0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 62

Go to solution

Hi John

speedtest.net results:-

Download;- 3.24Mbps

Upload:- 0.97Kbps.

Mike

0 Ratings