Somewhat of a saga. Essentially, we've had an unsuably crackly phone line and random BB drop outs for 9 days, and whenever the phone rings the BB drops. Problem started on 2/11 reported to BT on 4/11 after trying *all* (and I mean all!) the recommended steps on line (including test socket, diffferent microfilters, cables, routers - the works). Told the problem was at the exchange and that it would all be working in the morning. We have no mobile reception where we live, which makes all the time spent on the phone at the end of the garden in the rain even more painful! That was 45 minutes on the call. I was promised a callback between 08:00 and 10:00 on 5/11 to confirm the fix.
At 10:45 on 5/11 I receive the call - but by now I am out of the house and ask them to call me back at 11:15, which they promise to do. At 11:20 still no call, so I get to the bottom of the garden and get in the queue. At 11:37 I get a voicemail while "sitting" in the queue, asking me to call another number...which I do to find myself in another queue. 30 minutes later I get through to the fabled "level 2" support. Engineer booked for 10th (earliest available) and I ask to discuss with a supervisor. Told no one available but they will call me in 30-45 minutes. That call was never returned.
10/11 - engineer arrives, replaces the master socket face plate with a NTE5 faceplate, runs some tests and all seems good. I phone from the garden and the bb stays up.
For 2 hours.
Then it starts dropping again, and when the phone rings the bb drops. The phoneline itself is back to it's essentially unusable state - crackling so loud you can barely hear a thing. And yes - it does that on a quiet line test too.
Phone BT again. Another 20 minutes in the queue, 10 minutes persuading the level 2 suport guy that I've been through al of this and offers an engineer to come around. Earliest appointment is 16th. I ask to speak to supervisor. None available and will call back in 15 - 20 minutes. That was 30 minutes ago, and no call.
To make matters worse, my 7 year old daughter is severly disabled - and IS registered under the CDPA act 1970. I have explained this, but apparently 16th is the best they can do. Interestingly, I have just found out (well done wife!) that BT do offer a priority fault repair - but you have to be registered to that - by paper! Have just filled out that form, may be useful for next time. The support people never mentioned this even after I mentioned my daughter.
It's not so much the technical problems, but what I find distressing is the repeated lying and failing to call back when they assure me they weill.
Anyway, current starts from the BT HH3, up for nearly and hour now!
The speeds vary wildly - have had between 2 and 8 mb today. previously stable at 6mb. Any bright ideas what I do next?
Hi welcome to the forums,
Cant help with the health issues and your daughter although if you here noise on your line-
Quite line test dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing best done with old type analogue phone digital (dect) will do but may have slight hiss If you hear noise- crackling pops etc, report it as a noisy line on your phone, don’t mention broadband, Bt Faults on 151.
once you get the line noise fixed following Nils suggestion you should have an 8mb connection being max for adslmax
As mentioned - I did do a quiet line test after the problem started again and it crackles a lot! I'll try reporting on just the phone line side and see if I get better service there - thanks for the thought.
Speed test results:
| Download speedachieved during the test was - 3196 Kbps|
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :4192 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps
2. Assured Rate Test: -provides background information.
|0 Kbps||600 Kbps|
Max Achievable Speed
| Download speedachieved during the test was - 2987 Kbps|
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600 Kbps