cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Woeful connection and even worse customer service - day 9

Somewhat of a saga. Essentially, we've had an unsuably crackly phone line and random BB drop outs for 9 days, and whenever the phone rings the BB drops. Problem started on 2/11 reported to BT on 4/11 after trying *all* (and I mean all!) the recommended steps on line (including test socket, diffferent microfilters, cables, routers - the works). Told the problem was at the exchange and that it would all be working in the morning. We have no mobile reception where we live, which makes all the time spent on the phone at the end of the garden in the rain even more painful! That was 45 minutes on the call. I was promised a callback between 08:00 and 10:00 on 5/11 to confirm the fix.

At 10:45 on 5/11 I receive the call - but by now I am out of the house and ask them to call me back at 11:15, which they promise to do. At 11:20 still no call, so I get to the bottom of the garden and get in the queue. At 11:37 I get a voicemail while "sitting" in the queue, asking me to call another number...which I do to find myself in another queue. 30 minutes later I get through to the fabled "level 2" support. Engineer booked for 10th (earliest available) and I ask to discuss with a supervisor. Told no one available but they will call me in 30-45 minutes. That call was never returned.

10/11 - engineer arrives, replaces the master socket face plate with a NTE5 faceplate, runs some tests and all seems good. I phone from the garden and the bb stays up.

For 2 hours.

Then it starts dropping again, and when the phone rings the bb drops. The phoneline itself is back to it's essentially unusable state - crackling so loud you can barely hear a thing. And yes - it does that on a quiet line test too.

Phone BT again. Another 20 minutes in the queue, 10 minutes persuading the level 2 suport guy that I've been through al of this and offers an engineer to come around. Earliest appointment is 16th. I ask to speak to supervisor. None available and will call back in 15 - 20 minutes. That was 30 minutes ago, and no call.

To make matters worse, my 7 year old daughter is severly disabled - and IS registered under the CDPA act 1970. I have explained this, but apparently 16th is the best they can do. Interestingly, I have just found out (well done wife!) that BT do offer a priority fault repair - but you have to be registered to that - by paper! Have just filled out that form, may be useful for next time. The support people never mentioned this even after I mentioned my daughter.

It's not so much the technical problems, but what I find distressing is the repeated lying and failing to call back when they assure me they weill.

Anyway, current starts from the BT HH3, up for nearly and hour now!

The speeds vary wildly - have had between 2 and 8 mb today. previously stable at 6mb. Any bright ideas what I do next?

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:53:50
Downstream:4.094 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):25.8 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):15.1 dB / 8.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 41
CRC Events (Down/Up):6037 / 2749
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):16144 / 38
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):16828 / 18573

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Woeful connection and even worse customer service - day 9

Hi welcome to the forums,

Cant help with the health issues and your daughter although if you here noise on your line-

Quite line test dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing best done with old type analogue phone digital (dect) will do but may have slight hiss If you hear noise- crackling pops etc, report it as a noisy line on your phone, don’t mention broadband, Bt Faults on 151.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

once you get the line noise fixed following Nils suggestion you should have an 8mb connection being max for adslmax

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Hi Welcome to the forum could you please post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397
if you have line noise that will affect your broadband connection you need to report it as a noisy line on bt faults 151 but do not mention broadband when you call once any line noise is resolved your broadband will improve
Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

As mentioned - I did do a quiet line test after the problem started again and it crackles a lot! I'll try reporting on just the phone line side and see if I get better service there - thanks for the thought.

Speed test results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3196 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4192 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps

2. Assured Rate Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 2987 Kbps

0 Kbps600 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2987 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600 Kbps

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Update: called 151 but no one answers, despite the BT site claiming the phones are manned until 11pm. Will try in the morning
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

You can always raise a fault online, include your own notes and book an engineer appointment. http://goo.gl/J25w8

0 Ratings