cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 39

Work from home and just moved house, really slow internet and cutting out.

Hello, I have just moved house ( 2 weeks ago) I use to get BT infinity so I was expecting a big drop but nothing like this. When I orderd my new BT package I was told to estimate speed of 12mb.

My internet cuts out regularly - 5 to 10 times aday and most of the time when I get incoming and out going calls.

Untitled-1.jpg

-I was getting 11.1mb the first two days I moved in.

- Currently plugged into test socket and did the 17070 and 2 and getting some static sound but did this with a wireless phone standing next to the receiver.

-Just got brand new ADSL filters from BT.

Any help would be fantastic due to this is damaging my work with clients - Thank you!

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: Work from home and just moved house, really slow internet and cutting out.

If your broadband is dropping connection when you receive or make a call or both then you need to report a phone fault not broadband to 151 as this is probably a high resistence fault. Once fixed your broadband will improve

you need to remember residential connections should not be used for business purposes although many use for checking work email and casual use for business

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 39

Hi Alistair91,

Strictly speaking, you should not be using a residential line for business purposes

Best regards,
dfenceman
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 39

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 39

Already talked to BT about BT business two years ago and was told I did not need to "upgrade"

I have contacted a BT enginer who is coming out next week.

Thank you john46 - 

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 08:58:48
Downstream:3,065 Kbps
Upstream:531 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):4.4 dB / 5.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):22.0 dB / 8.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 10.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):48014 / 10044
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 35
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 66
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 27
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 39

either that or maybe maintenance going on in your area.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 39

if you don't need to 'upgrade' then you have to accept the delays with a residential service which may cause problems when using for business and there is no compensation for any loss of business

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 39

If your connection was dropping that regularly your noise margin would have been much higher than it is now also you would have been in a banded profile are you using a wired or wireless connection
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 39

I am useing a wireless connection again, I saw no visible increase when using an ethernet cable. It would also mean that I would have to use the computer in the hall way and not in my upstairs office.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 39

you really need to try the test socket again as with your attenuation I would expect a conenction speed of about 19/19.5mb on a good line with no noise so there is something killing your conenction.  when you conenct to test socket are all your oter sockets 'dead'?