cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brummymummy
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Working internet in the day by 4pm nothing!

I hope someone can help as I'm getting a bit irate now you know what it's like 3 kids and no internet 😡

Over the new year our internet stopped working completely for 4 days 2 days before the engineer was due it started working that was last Tuesday. Sunday afternoon it stopped working again 😬 It came on during the night and by 4 pm went off again, the same yesterday so when everyone is home it's not working.

i phoned bt Sunday and got through to the India call centre who has recorded it as a phone fault even though they know it's an internet fault, anyway she said it was a fault outside the home it would be fixed by Wednesday. When I looked online to track it on Monday it said an engineer needed to be booked so I phoned to check (spoke to someone in the UK) who said no it was with open reach and to wait till Wednesday. I've just had a phone call from BT (India) to ask if it's working as they can't find a fault and could I monitor it for 5 days.

well it is working now but will it be off again by 4pm? They haven't fixed anything as they can't find the fault so finally booked an engineer for tomorrow afternoon, so if it is working tonight will I get charged for them coming out and does anyone have an idea what it is? Could it be the infinity box?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Working internet in the day by 4pm nothing!

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

Which BT Home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
Brummymummy
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks

we have a BT smart hub type A

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

First of all try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Also

Post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

0 Ratings
Brummymummy
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Done both.IMG_0435.PNGIMG_0436.PNG

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Could you see how it goes now.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

See if the phone line still works when the Internet goes off. It can be a phone line fault, as the phone line has to be fully working for broadband to work.

Is there anything else plugged into the phone line, like Sky box or alarm system, especially something that may be turned on at 4pm?

0 Ratings
Brummymummy
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

There is no noise on the test and the phone line still works when it goes down, sky is via the wifi and no alarms or extensions plugged in we only have one line in.

the only thing that happens then is that the kids are all home from school and all using their devices. It's not exactly 4 pm but when other devices are switched on, we do also have the Ethernet plugged straight in to the hub.

i shall see what happens tonight and let you know, thanks.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

It could be one of their devices causing the problem, perhaps you could ask them to wait a short while after 4pm and see if you still have an Ethernet connection.

Then perhaps just get them to try one device at a time (I know it will be hard for them Smiley Wink)

See if its one of them causing the Internet to disconnect.

What I would recommend is to turn smart setup off

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also if you have devices that connect to 2.4G and 5G, its better to split the bands, especially if you have any Apple wirelee connected products, as they can cause problems.

0 Ratings