cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nophonethanks
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Worried about being charged for an engineer visit

OK here’s a timeline of my recent troubles with broadband.

About 6 weeks ago the phone was crackling badly and my net connection (not fibre at that point) was constantly disconnecting. I got a phone engineer to come and have a look. He said there was nothing wrong with the phone line. The noisy line continued though and I took the risk of being charged by getting another engineer round. He said yes there is noise on the line. He apparently fixed it (for a while).

A month ago I got BT Infinity installed and it was excellent for a couple of weeks but then I started getting regular disconnections and my broadband speeds dropped.

The last few days I’ve had many broadband disconnections everyday. I have a very noisy phone line once again. My Broadband set up is exactly the same as during the first two weeks of my getting BT Infinity when it was working very well. I haven't changed anything.

I’m worried if I call out someone to try to put right the noisy line I’ll end up being charged this time. Do you think I’ll be OK?

Also, would you say the broadband disconnections are definitely a phone line problem? What I mean is isn’t my broadband connection now fibre nearly all the way to my router? Does a noisy line still affect a broadband fibre connection?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Worried about being charged for an engineer visit

Is there still noise on the telephone when you have it plugged into the test socket?

This is a guide to charging.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
nophonethanks
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Yes I tried it in the test socket and there's still noise. Does noise on the phone affect a fibre broadband connection, cause disconnections from the net?
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Yes, report a line fault not a BB one.