cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blueboy274
Message 1 of 8

Worst ever service and braodband - getting less than 1MB

We joined BT just a few weeks ago from Virgin Media - no real reason other than we thought with all the hype and ads that BT could give us extra super fast broadband.  How wrong we were since it was installed the speed has been dire from 28 down to currently less than 1MB or none at all.  We have called and had it all reset, we called agin and have had 2 openreach engineers attend twho have done speed etsts and checks and confirmed the euqipment, conection etc is all workign fine, we shoudl be getting 80mb according to their systems but only less than 28mb is getting through.

The lovely "technical help2 in India is sendign another engineer after their specilist temas have discobvers an unstable cable from the BT server to the exchange but why come to ours agin as its not us that is the problem> I have warned them that if they leave and it is still unresolved im going back to Virgin.  I work for a law firm and deal with con aritsts and swizzlers all day but i am thoroughly anoyed and let down by BRITISH TELECOM when i cant even speak to anyone in Britain and Im paying for a product that does not do as advertised - i may even get Trading Standards involved. Realy shockingly bad - i just want a fast broadband not to donate a kidney - it worked with Virgin so why now with BT does it not - its the same cables and same exchange !

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Worst ever service and braodband - getting less than 1MB

what was your predicted speed when you ordered?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Virgin is a totally different network they do not use the BT Network or exchanges they are a Cable operator
are you connecting your pc wireless or wired that can have an effect on your speed
0 Ratings
blueboy274
Message 4 of 8

Hi

Paying for up to 80 and the openreach engineer said we wre getting 76mb but it dropped down to 30 or lower in our property - the cables were checked twice , hub checked wireless connection checked all working but he said it was BT servers causing the problem.

0 Ratings
blueboy274
Message 5 of 8

Wireless as we always have and the open reach engineer checked it all and said it was was all working fine - the BT server was the issue he said

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 8

to find out your predicted speed put your phone number in the box called "check if you can get bt infinity" about halfway down the page http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017
to find out your ip profile put your number in here http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker
to find out if your really getting the speeds do a speedtest using a wired connection

0 Ratings
Trebor1234
Message 7 of 8

Might I suggest, having endured six months of this nonsense myself, that you check the your white modem is 3B or later on the label, the four units I had before this kept overheating, that your Hub is a B not A and that you go to page 25 of the User Guide and change to channel one or seven as the auto thing can be dodgy as is channel six.

This might sound dull, but I have had twenty one engineers out since March and thirty seven cals with India, everybody is charming but there is so much conflicting information that it becomes tedious. It is very hard for the Openreach engineers because they are monitored closely and they need to be in and out and on to the next timed job. Some of them have no idea what they have been sent to fix, three that came to me were not Broadband qualified and the 'Senior Engineer' was a very sweet, very young apprentice.

Deeper issues, literally, are old copper and aluminium cables, the need to get a new channel at the exchange and the same in your local fibre box, but they avoid all that and say it is interference from electric gates, door intercoms and microwaves.

Good luck, but do not make the mistake I made and let it go on for more than a month, I was luck, the excellent Openreach Operations Manager came to my home with two brilliant engineers and fixed mine, I was so grateful.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

i would suggest trying a wired speedtest and post the results as in many cases speeds on wireless are lower then a wired speeds
0 Ratings