cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrMagical
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Worth upgrading to Infinity 2 on poor line?

I've been with Infinity since December. My estimated speed was 25 down / 5 up. Got this speed for few days but then gradually dropped to a rock steady 18 down / 2.5 up which never varies with reboots. I'm content with this as previously on ADSL Max I got 1.25 down / 0.4 up!

When I go onto my BT account it says after a line test that if I upgrade to Infinity 2 I will get an improvement to 27 down / 5 up!

My questions are: if I live a fair way from the cabinet and I have a poor quality line then surely my rate limiting factor is the copper and doubling the frequency of the fibre optic signal will do absolutely zilch?

Also heard that some people are worse off with the upgrade (higher frequency = more errors = speed modulated down to compensate)?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Enigma123
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Worth upgrading to Infinity 2 on poor line?

Stay what your on! People upgrading from infinity have seen marginal speeds when upgrading from infinity to infinity2 if i knew infinity2 would be so much trouble i wouldn't have even left my ADSL connection for an over priced product that fails to deliver in my case and others on the forum. Take a look around and you will see. 

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 3 of 6

0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Recently, I've been faced with a similar dilema, i.e,. whether to upgrade or stay on Infinity 1.

Estimates on the BT speed checker web page estimate the maximum I will get is 37 Mbps, even if I upgraded to Infinity 2, which if fine for what I use the Internet for.

However, recently, I've been nearing my 40GB data limit each month (I've started using Sky Anytime+) and so yesterday I rang BT and ordered BT Infinity 2, not for any speed increase, but to remove the data cap.

I asked the gentleman I spoke to several times, will my speed drop once I've been upgraded as I've read many "horror" stories about people upgrading from Infinity 1 to Infinity 2 and their speed actually dropping.  He said he's never heard of this happening and would be surprised if my speed dropped at all.  i mentioned that many of the stories I've read are on the BT web site.

I'm due to be upgraded to Infinity 2 in about a week so I'll see what happens!

0 Ratings
DrMagical
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks - let me know by replying here!

0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Well I received the e-mail from BT at around 10:30 this morning telling me that my upgrade was complete and when I signed into my online account, it did indeed tell me that I was on Infinity 2.

A speed test shows a download speed of around 43Mbps down and around 14Mbps up, and more importantly, my data cap has gone!

I don't even think I was disconnected when the upgrade took place.  I'm actually connected into my office on a VPN and didn't notice anything!!

So far, very pleased.  I knew from the estimate I wasn't going to get near to the 76Mbps, but an extra 5Mbps is still nice!

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings