cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Worthing Central (BN14) availability for my neighbours but not me!

I've just checked my address here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

It says I'm connected to cabinet 34 (Worthing Central) and there is no FTTC. However, I've just checked my neighbours who are attached to my property, even the same pole in the street, and it says they are on cabinet 5 with FTTC available now.

Is this possible it's just an error?  Why would I be the only property connected to a different cabinet to the neighbours either side of me?    I'm desperate for BT Infinity, with Sky now and I'm lucky to get 4Mb down 650Kbps upload.

Do you think I'd be able to order a new line, connected to the correct cabinet?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Worthing Central (BN14) availability for my neighbours but not me!

It is possible and happens in a few areas. The same side of the street can be connected to different cabinets.

In your case cabinet 5 would have been filled and later another cabinet (34) was installed to increase demand at a later date.

Can't see Openreach doing it for you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

There is only one cabinet nearby, and it certainly doesn't contain fibre as its an old rusty cab, but I will go for a walk later in the week and see if I can find those cabinet numbers. I hope it's just a database error as there are no alternatives for me. It's a private street so no VM either.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Its extremely rare for a pole to be served by two different cabs. It could be a database issue like you said.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Just because it says they are on PCP 5 it doesn't necessarily mean they are on PCP 5. Or you on 34 for that matter.

I once did a FTTC Provide (used to work on the tools) and picked up a job off a PCP. Wasn't local to the area so wasn't great on street names/distances to things.

Anyway, check my E-Side cable and was the wrong number. Didn't think much of it as routing is never an exact science. Checked my D-Side as that might be right but no, same number as the E-Side. Sent down what Openreach Engineers call a remote tone to find my line but after going round the cab 3 times couldn't find it.

Anyway, give up and go to the customers house to put a tone on from their end. When I drive up to the house I notice the DP is actually UG and not overhead as it was stated in the records. After a bit of investigation turns out the customer was actually on a completely different PCP and whoever entered the routing records had completely got it wrong.

Also turns out the PCP they were connected to, didn't have a RDSLAM connected to it so that was like really kicking em while they were down poor sods.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I though I'd follow up this post as this mystery has been solved. I contacted BT Openreach (nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk)

and they confirmed that my cabinet is indeed no. 5 which is fibre enabled!  So it must be a database issue. Further to that, I've located the cabinet and it's actually 1.1km away if I follow the roads (not straight), which is pretty bang on to the predicted speed of 22Mbps when looking at this graph: http://www.buckconsult.co.uk/fttx/graphvdsl2.png

My install date in 1st March so I will let you know what speed I end up getting once it's settled.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Last follow up to this post if anyone is interested. Since the upgrade I've been getting around 12Mb down and 2Mb up with Sky, not great but considering the distance from the cab I can't complain too much.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 11

Hi I9nux,

Did you not decide to sign up for Infinity then ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 11

Can't get that upload on Adsl
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Yes crazy story. The BT Openreach database has my cabinet listed incorrectly (cab 34, not cab 5) and whilst I confirmed with BT Openreach on the phone directly, BT Infinity sales were unable to process the order as they said it wasn't available at my property.  Sky at least were able to double check and confirm the correct cab so I went with them.

That said my 12 months are nearly up and I'd like to switch to BT so I might try again!

0 Ratings