cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delialli
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Wow, what a massive unexpected bill, including something we were told would be free. Help Please.

Hi there, I'm just trying to get this sorted out for my parents.

Last autumn, our broadband was consistently slow, and on rainy and windy days would cut out entirely.  at these times a pronounced crackle could also be heard on the line.  I called the support line several times before calling out an engineer because I didn't want my parents paying for any unnecessary repairs.  I was repeatedly told that we were liable for problems with our phone, computer, router, etc, and that the cutoff point was the master socket by the front door, beyond which the line became BT's responsibility.  

I exposed the master socket and verified with several different phones that the problem was most likely not with our equipment.

First, as I was arranging for an engineer, I saw one outside who had been called by my neighbour for the same problem.  He worked on it and it was somewhat better until the next spell of bad weather, when we called another engineer.  unfortunately, a few days later when the engineer arrived, the fault wasn't happening.  he sympathised and said we should simply keep calling until an engineer could hear the problem in order to isolate it.  The next engineer who came fixed the problem, which was some kind of loose connection on the pole which was rubbing in the wind, and replaced the wire which led to our house.  Nobody at any point said "would you like me to go ahead with this, it's going to cost you 127.99".  Our impression was that the problem was with the line, which my parents pay rental on, and the problem, while of a somewhat elusive nature, had been duly repaired by BT.  

My parents paid the bill before I saw it, and i would now very much appreciate a clarification of what exactly we have been charged for, and why we weren't informed that charges would apply.  Ideally i would like the money to be refunded - though the liability for repairs may actually not lie with BT in this case, I feel that would heavily imply we were misled.  I took some time and care not to incur charges if i could avoid it, as 127.99 is a lot of money.  

I've called BT three times about this today.  First, i decided to hold rather than choosing a callback.  I was on hold for 17 minutes before the call was disconnected with a beep.  I then dialled again, and got a callback.  After waiting on hold while the lady at the call centre waited on hold for another department (which suggests that whoever's organising this might have also had a hand in the script for Inception), i was told by a very polite lady that the department she had spoken to thought the charges "should be maintained".  she was incapable of explaining to me precisely why this decision had been made, offering her personal apology, which was nice of her, but not that useful.  The last time i called i was on hold for half an hour and got the number for the faults department, who i'll be ringing tomorrow.

this is on top of a previous problem which we have actually given up on.  I see from this forum that a lot of people are told verbally that they're getting a discount on broadband.  my mother was called last year and told that it would be 12 pounds something.  She's been with BT longer than i've been alive, but they're still charging her 25 a month.  that's fair enough, but why tell her otherwise, then fail to implement the new price?  she barely knows what the internet is, other than amazon, so she's been reluctant to pursue.  

well here it goes - unless this gets sorted out soon, I'll get them to change providers.  I'll put myself through all the hours of paperwork and nonsense, out of sheer spite, cackling maniacally!  Or, someone could help me out, which would be really great.

thankyou

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
rosewood
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wow, what a massive unexpected bill, including something we were told would be free. Help Pleas

I wish you all the best luck with your query but I have to say that £127-99 is not a lot of money where BT are concerned- I am awaiting confirmation that my new line with broadband will be free, as there wasn't any small print when I ordered it about excess charges, however when I tried ordering a phone line last year I was told that it'd be £127-99 but it turned out to be that plus £3575 for work that would cost, if I had it done privately, £500. :o(

0 Ratings
Highlighted
optatus
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Re: Wow, what a massive unexpected bill, including something we were told would be free. Help Pleas

the offer at the moment is a free line connection and 3 months bb free. Excess costs would be if, for example,  if living remotely rural then telegraph poles needed installed,or other uncommon work, needed to be done, in which case BT would then contact you to tell you the cost before proceeding

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Hi delialli and welcome

You could ask the forum mods to look at the notes regarding the work carried out.

The replacement of the wire leading to the property should be foc.
(It's when work is carried out after the master socket, that it becomes chargeable)

It's not for me to say if they can refund the charge, but IMHO it's worth a try.

email - forum.moderation.team@bt.com

They'll need the main account holders name, account number and a link to this thread for reference.

Allow 72 hours for a reply, as they are very busy.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

The replacement of the wire leading to the property should be foc.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Not quite the case: If BT openreach believe that the wire has been damaged in anyway there will be a charge for the visit.

Although in the original poster case they were charged because the engineer was in the opinion that no fault exists.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/why-am-I-charged-for-fixing-a-fault-to-my-incoming-line-outside/td...

I had the same problem - look at the thread above. You can find it on page 20 of the listings here. I had to fight like mad to get the charge waived, but the bottom line is in the Ts and Cs that BT have, it does state that BT are responsible for the incoming cable up to and including the master socket and that as part of the rental they have a duty to maintain it - that is what we are paying for. However, if the cable is damaged ON YOUR PROPERTY you will be required to pay for it, even if it is between the telegraph pole and your house. £127.99 as a minimum.

Regards

0 Ratings
delialli
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks very much for your help everybody, i'm emailing the address you suggested with the details. Best of luck to those of you having your own BT problems, thanks for putting mine in perspective!

0 Ratings