cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwhitbread
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Xbox One S - Intermittent/Interrupted Wired Connection to BT Smart Hub (BTHub6)

Hi everyone,

I have searched the forums and see that people are having issues with the Xbox One/Xbox One S connecting to the BT Smart Hub (BTHub6) via ethernet/wired connection. I can't however find any work arounds/solutions/if BT have recognised this as an issue?

To confirm what the issue is...after connecting the Xbox One S to the BT Smart Hub via ethernet you get the following issues:

- Constantly connecting and disconnecting

- Xbox One S confirms a successul IPV4 & IPV6 wired connection, open NAT and that All Services are Available and then the connection drops out and the Xbox One S reports No Connection. It then reconnects and reports the same and then the connection drops out again. This process is repeated throughout the ethernet connection. 

I have tried:

- Static IP within the DHCP range of the BT Smart Hub

- Static IP outside of the DHCP range of the BT Smart Hub

- Automatic IP as per the default settings

- Turned off Smart Setup for newly connected devices

None of the above works. 

A fix for this would be great as although it is all ok via the Wireless connection, we all know that wired will deliver faster speeds generally.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Malacath
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Xbox One S - Intermittent/Interrupted Wired Connection to BT Smart Hub (BTHub6)

BT routers are a complete joke when it comes to games consoles. If it's not connection issues it will be NAT issues.

But as you have a stable connection with wireless you should try a different ethernet cable just to rule out a faulty cable.

If at all possible you might want to try using your xbox wired in a friends house to rule out the possibilty that the ethernet port on the xbox is faulty.

Alternatively if your wifi signal is strong enough you should connect to the 5Ghz band as that is a lot better than the standard 2.4Ghz band. I get full connection speed on my xbox with 5Ghz and low latency but I use my own router due to having a hatred for the home hubs

0 Ratings
jwhitbread
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Re: Xbox One S - Intermittent/Interrupted Wired Connection to BT Smart Hub (BTHub6)

Thanks for your response. I have tried a different ethernet cable aswell and get the same issues...it seems isolated to the BT Smart Hub. Same results in the four different ethernet ports too. There aren't any issues with the BT Home Hub 5 so it seems it definitely is the Smart Hub.

What I don't understand is surely they must test their kits before manufturing them? These are basic devices most households have?

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 4 of 13

I don't think they test them with games consoles.

I have never owned a BT Home hub that doesn't have NAT issues with games consoles

Anyway never used the smart hub so have no idea how good the 5ghz wifi band is on that but I've found 5Ghz wifi with other brands of routers to be excellent on xbox one. Even better than powerline adaptors

It would be worth going into the home hubs settings and making sure the 5Ghz band has it's own SSiD. After this connect the xbox one the the 5Ghz. It's obviously not going to be as good as wired but I find any difference to be unnoticable.

0 Ratings
mont348
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Try disabling UPnP extended security it was causing matchmaking making issues with certain games for me on PSN with it being enabled regardless of port forwarding or DMZ.Apart from that I have not experienced any other problems with my PS3's or PS4.

0 Ratings
jwhitbread
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

I'll test it tonight and letr you know. Is there any recommended type of ethernet cable I should buy and use?

0 Ratings
jwhitbread
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Yeah I have done that, just so frustrating haha. Is there any certain type of ethernet cable I should buy and use?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

There is little difference in the ethernet cables, mostly the interference insulation so any type should work fine.  CAT 7 is best insulated but CAT 5 is fine for most applications.

Unfortunately it's a sad fact that the Hub 6 seems beset with issues.  Reading posts on the forum some look to have issues with the LAN ports and/or Wireless.  If you are serious about your gaming invest in a good third party modem/router.  Then things like UPnP will work in the way intended.

0 Ratings
jwhitbread
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Thank you Liam, it's a shame it's riddled with issues that seem quite basic!

0 Ratings
clarkieclarke87
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Hello, I have a Xbox One X and having the exact same issue. Did you buy a router to resolve?

0 Ratings