cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 21 of 27

Re: Xbox One X Intermittent Connection W/ BT SmartHub

Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, were you connecting via a wall port at all, or just directly to the router?

Just seems so strange to me that the original xbox one worked fine and the new "most powerful console ever" didn't very frustrating. Spent hours on the phone to microsoft and BP and had a bloody replacement console shipped trying to figure it out.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 27

Hi no solution I'm afraid. As I'm getting good speeds wirelessly I decided to just connect via that route, and keep my bthub5 in case I found poor performance, which so far I haven't.

Weird thing is my issue is wth xbox one s not the X, whereas others like yourself have faced no issues with the standard one

I was connecting to the Xbox directly from the hub.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

Interestingly, I was also using an RJ45 wall socket wired to the router. It was too far away to try direct but oddly Wi-fi works using a wireless access point connected to the socket.

Also try reserving the IP address at the router and enabling iPv6 if supported.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 27

Yes mine worked on the wifi fine also, which is interesting. I had a wall socket installed specifically so that I could have a wired connection for my old xbox.

I'm in no way an expert in the hardware or in how signal travels down an ethernet cable (as you will probably guess from my explanations and terminologies). Maybe someone with more technical knowledge might be able to hypothesise why:

Router > Cable > wall port > Cable > Original Xbox/Laptop etc. (works)
Router > Cable > wall port > Cable > Xbox one X (doesn't work)
Router > Cable > Xbox one X (works)

Is there some difference in the hardware that could cause it?

Its probably worth mentioning that whilst signed out of my xbox live account, I seemed to be able to get a download speed to register steady with an Open NAT (within detailed network statistics), but had zero upload speed. As soon as I tried to sign back into my account I would get kicked off the network again. So there may be something limiting the Xbox One X from uploading to the router?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 27

Has anyone tried the new BT Smart Hub 2, does this resolve the issue?

I've had the issue on both Xbox One S and Xbox One X. The router log in simple terms is showing as if the network cable for the Xbox is quickly being pulled out and re-inserted every couple of seconds.

Oddly, the connection mostly remains, however during game downloads I notice the speeds can drop down to KB levels and are very erratic in between.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 27

@besmirched

If you have a direct connection from the xbox to the home hub, then there may be some form of incompatibility between the interfaces.  This can vary between different home hubs, owing to manufacturing tolerances.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

This can usually be overcome by adding an Ethernet switch between the LAN port of the home hub, and the xbox.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-8-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-075719-8W49.html?q=ethernet%20switch

BT 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 27

After gameplay becoming unstable due to variable ping I figured I'd try the BT Smart Hub 2 before resorting to leaving BT.

To my surprise this appears to have resolved the issues. So if anyone with the old Smart Hub (HH6) is still encountering issues where their Xbox keeps showing the connection drops when wired, or download speeds drastically vary, or game lag is a problem - I would recommend you enquire about the Smart Hub 2 to BT. This new model replacement appears to have resolved my longstanding issues.

The only issue is some difficulty with opting back out of BT Wifi on the new hub, but that is a discussion for another thread which I hope will be resolved sooner rather than later.
0 Ratings