Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
xbox987
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Xbox chat breaks up

Hi, I'm having a problem with xbox live chat. Players can hear me perfect, but I can only hear parts of what they say. I tried setting it to play voice through speakers to check it is not my headset but I still have the same problem.

Do you think this is a problem with the Xbox or the broadband connection?

Its the homehub 2.0 we are using, I've gone to port forwarding and selected Xbox console.

I contacted xbox support but the problem never got resolved because the next step was to contact the broadband provider (BT). With xbox support I reset the route, restored the xbox connection to defaults and ran the live connection test.

Its a wired connection.

Thank you for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
MooJuice
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Xbox chat breaks up

Does this happen in game chat or just party chat?  If it's just party chat then I would say that you have a bandwidth issue on your internet connection or your local (home network).  Try another ethernet port on the Hub (I think Ethernet port 2 on the Home Hub 2 Type B is a bit squiffy if that's what you're using, according to reports on here the Home Hub 3 Type A likes to randomly and silently reconfigure ethernet throughput to a max of 10Mb/s).

That's just a guess, but the users on here will probably like to eliminate the internet connection bandwidth and packet loss as possible causes, so I'd post all of your ADSL stats from the Hub Manager (Advanced settings>Broadband>ADSL/Connection>More details (at the bottom).

Also, would be helpful if you could run a speedtest at speedtester.bt.com and post the results so we can see if your IP profile and throughput match up to your sync rate.

Edit:  if your using the Xbox wired headset plugged into the controller try cleaning the headset's jack, try the headset in another controller and then try re-associating the controller with the Xbox.

0 Ratings
xbox987
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about in game chat as I do not use this, so its possible this does work. It happens in party chat and private chat. I have the xbox plugged into Ethernet port 1 on the Home Hub 2. I have tried switching controllers and cleaning the headsets jack.

ADSL line status

Connection information

Line state Connected

Connection time 0 days, 20:28:35

Downstream 6,656 Kbps

Upstream 1,248 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.5

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.4 dB / 5.4 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 32.0 dB / 19.2 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 0

Loss of Signal (Local) 0

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 3850 / N/A

HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0

Error Seconds (Local) 2291

The speed test results

Download Speed 5419 Kbps - Max achievable speed 7150 Kbps

Additional information Your DSL Connection Rate: 6656 Kbps (DOWN-STREAM), 1248(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for you line is 5872 Kbps

Upload speed 1021 Kbps - Max achievable speed 1248 Kbps

Additional information Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1248 Kbps

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Your noise margin is high at 14.4db, this should be around 6db, also your connection time is low, is this automatic resets or manual resets! , if manual they it is best left alone.    I would expect your downstream to hit double figures too you down attenuation of 32 put that in here- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php  as you are on adsl2 product this is what you should be aiming for. 

Does your hub connect straight to the BT master socket.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
xbox987
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I manually reset the home hub to see if it would make a difference, I won't do this again then. The hub is connected to the master socket.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Do you have any other telephone points in the home if so are you are you able to connect to the test socket behind master socket. Also try changing filters  and housing of the hub can at times ave effect as anything electrical in the home can mess them up.

I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 7 of 11

@xbox987 wrote:

Hi, I'm having a problem with xbox live chat. Players can hear me perfect, but I can only hear parts of what they say. I tried setting it to play voice through speakers to check it is not my headset but I still have the same problem.

Do you think this is a problem with the Xbox or the broadband connection?

Its the homehub 2.0 we are using, I've gone to port forwarding and selected Xbox console.

I contacted xbox support but the problem never got resolved because the next step was to contact the broadband provider (BT). With xbox support I reset the route, restored the xbox connection to defaults and ran the live connection test.

Its a wired connection.

Thank you for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My son uses the wireless headset....xbox connected via Ethernet, but he too sometimes only hears part of the conversation, he puts it down to the actual game he's playing....never opened any ports nor set application sharing, and your B'band connection is almost double mine. He did say that sometimes he just resets the networking and tests the xbox live connection and he'll do that if he get problems within a game. But he usually plays with a group of local mates so its not an issue if he drops out for a couple of minutes.

0 Ratings
MooJuice
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Am pretty sure that your difficulties aren't related to your hub's internet-facing connection; you don't seem to have that many errors and you have sufficient bandwidth.

I find that what you describe tends to happen during games that use P2P rather than server-based connections during the matchmaking process when the game tries to find the best host connection.  It also happens if another device connected to the hub is generating heavy traffic such as streaming media which strangles the Xbox connection.

Saying that, you could try swapping the ethernet cable and try turning off devices local to the Xbox that might be causing interference with the wireless signal between the XBox and the wireless controller (cordless 'phones, speakers) and maybe consider that objects near or in front of the Xbox might be passively hindering that wireless signal (glass doors on an AV cabinet...?).

You might also try replacing the batteries in the controller if the ones that you're using are reaching the end of their usable life.

Failing all that you could try turning off UPnP and forwarding the Xbox Live ports (though this can be a bit tricky with the Home Hub 2).  Out of interest, what NAT status do you get when you run the Xbox's network test?

0 Ratings
xbox987
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I don't think it is the wireless signal between the Xbox and controller because I tried setting it to play chat through the TV speaker and it still does the same.

The breaking up is very frequent so its not possible to have a conversation. It happens when just the Xbox is using the internet connection. I think it still happens even when I’m not in a game and using private chat.

I tried swapping the Ethernet cable but this does not seem to make a difference.

When I test the Xbox live connection it does not say anything about the NAT.

I will try and see if I can connect to the test socket behind the master socket and try different filters.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

To be honest your connection could be alot better, have you been contacted by BT about 21cn/ upgrade of your exchange. With your attenuation you could almost double your down speed.

I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings