Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ancientengineers
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Xbox live connect error ICMP improper Response

Hey, first time I am sting.
I used to be a wireless network and design engineer designing very large scale wifi networks back when wifi was like magic to to public, so I tend to be a little more educated than the average about trouble shooting.

Anyway, due to a pain condition, I am often awake at all hours and use xbox live and BT infinity to serve up netflix and YouTube intensely, and I notice when the system updates, glitches, reboots due to the constant streaming services I use, or my kids or wife use.

It is now almost 3am on 02dec 2014 and over an hour ago, my Xbox es, yes plural both lost their live accounts.

Short answer is though BT service and status updates indicate NO problem in my area or line, I checked directly via voice and they say they are seeing this problem come in with reports, are checking into it, hope to resolve soon or by 8am.

Ok, details. All my other devices...iPads, PC , you name it, connect t net fine.

Xboxes cannot, on connection test, even see internet, though they DO see network.
Response is ICMP. Error due to no response from modem or router.

Up until this happened, perfect service all night for hours and hours, now nothing, cannot get xbox live. Both boxes use a separate connection path to router, no way multiple hardware paths failed simultaneously. Am seeing network with them anyway, but usually would expect to see internet if not xbox liv e service.

Prior to this happening I had six or seven rapid disconnects and reconnects and it leads me to think BT rolled an update to modems because my internet itself crashed for a few seconds THEN this chronic problem manifested. The ICMP response issue has to so with routers and such sending error messages. If the new update had an compatibility with Xbox live, if that is the issue, or this is part of the IPV6 rollout, then we probably are seeing an "oops" moment .

Personally, I hope it is sorted ASAP because my xbox live service is the basis of use my tv for YouTube, Netflix, etc and I use the video feed for info and t take focus off a pain condition morphine barely helps with. We will see.
7 REPLIES 7
AdamCooke
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: Xbox live connect error ICMP improper Response

I HAD same issue. Its working again from.. 30 seconds ago. Woo
0 Ratings
Ancientengineers
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Update: at about 3.38am, maybe a few minutes earlier (I was checking every ten minutes or so) it seems that whatever BT infinity issue that was induced t cause improper icmp response was then fixed.....ALMOST!!!!!

Note that I also had to reboot my xbox. Twice . I got the solid good network test confirming network-internet-xbox live services, BUT it did not load netflix. I tried and tried. It locked up my xbox on third attempt to run the app. The app did not error. It just tried to load, then went back to previous screen as if nothing had happened after calling up a little box that says "signing in" which does not do anything. Then I can do anything or scroll through menues and when I use Big X button to go to recent apps used, it does not show recent load attempts meaning they never registered successfully win service.

After 15 minutes of trying I gave up. Clearly now the service can be reached, but it is not successfully working yet and this somehow is apparently an issue with BT.
0 Ratings
Ron_Buy
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi, just to let you know I am in East Anglia and currently have no problem using a Xbox to  connect to Xbox Live. However, I occasionally have unannounced temporary disconnections. Hope your problem is resolved soon.

0 Ratings
Ancientengineers
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

You suck!,,

Just kidding. Good luck on it working. Sadly for me it keeps connecting......acting like it will work....failing and disconnecting with EVERY app load attempt.

I called tech support again as the prior call dropped (cell phone call failure ) JUST as the tech guy said he was going to see of he could get me preliminary info as to what their issue was.

Repeat call back just a few moments ago, of course. Got a different support guy and sadly he was clueless said no updates from prior guy, no preliminary data, wait for a call back from experts though he claimed no system updates or such occurring .

Which I can accept but I sincerely hope I do not get one of those "no issues on our end " responses because it is not my hardware. Two separate xbox units, each with a separate xbox live account, two different hardware and network paths to router, which I verified as good, same failure, same issues, at same time after successful use for ever, and for many hours immediately prior, with streaming interrupted means I had no problem before and whatever happened had a common cause and given the ICMP response it is almost a guarantee to be am issue of ISP.

But what issue is.....? FiiK (**bleep** if I know)...

Or when it will be fixed......?

<sigh>. 😕
0 Ratings
lowei
Expert
Message 6 of 8

0 Ratings
Ancientengineers
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Issue resolved, all working well. I cannot be sure when it was fixed but it was after 6am but before now, 10am. My only complaint is I was assured a text or call informing me problem had been identified or fixed and that never happened. I just had to keep trying and hoping issue resolved. I also would have liked to know what tech issue caused this problem at provider.
0 Ratings
Ancientengineers
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

I am pretty sure it was not that. BT said "it seems to be our issue" but did not elaborate, and I looked up the ICMP issue, which in other issues in the USA had always turned out to be an issue with ISP and their modem setups or the network devices like their routers as ICMP is used to send error messages like service not available or that router not reached. Since this manifested suddenly it was certainly
, after extended OK service in excess of a year, it was NOT a modem setup issue unless some change had been pushed by ISP to their installed base.

ICMP is also NOT typically used end user network apps. If it was an xbox live issue, as with the link posted by you, due to hackers, the xbox local network diagnostic test would have seen good connectivity test to internet, but failed at xbox live commo. It failed to communicate at internet level, though traffic from OTHER devices fine in every way, indicating some protocol issue, filter, whatever happened from xbox device to ISP at protocol layer commo most likely.

, with the ICMP issue and only xbox traffic killed it was likely something specific at ISP, and I would really like to know WHAT that was because I have not been doing tech work for years (though am going to embark on intense study and do cert exams through ccnp starting in a few months) and at best , sans ISP feedback, I can only vaguely identify problem area and no specifics.

Thanks for the info though. I read link and it was worth consideration.
0 Ratings