cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fargle
Message 1 of 9

Yet another BtBroadband user with slow connection...

Hi all.

I've been having this problem for over a month now. Just before xmas our internet connection went down.

I phoned Bt, went through all the usual tests to be told there was nothing wrong with them and it was my equipment. Ok, no problem, I went out and bought a new router, got it home, plugged it in, still no internet.

Phoned Bt again, spoke to different person at callcenter, went through all the usual tests to be told that, yes, there was a problem with the line and to give it a few days for them to sort out. I gave it a few days and, amazing, the internet came back on. Problem was it was very slow. Ok, I thought, new modem, fixed connection, maybe I need to give it a few days to speed up. It's been a month now and it's gotten slower. So slow infact that when I ran the Bt Speedtester it said that my download speed was 59kps. This was the same speed I was getting back in '97 with my old dial-up modem (ah the memories...).

Anyway, called Bt again, explained all the above and was directed to thier online guide for improving the connection speeds, not very helpfull. Prior to the line problems in december, I was getting speeds up 21000kps. The line was rated for speeds between 4000-21000kps. My property is less than a 1km from the exchange, my router is connected to the main socket and I didn't have any problems prior to the line problems last year.

I have been searching through the previous posts on this forum and can see many other people with similar issues. One post stated that, because of thier line problems Bt had downgraded thier bandwith while the problem was dealt with, but had forgotten to increase it back to normal speed once it had been sorted.

This could be the issue with my connection and if any of the moderators are out there, could this be looked into, it would be deeply appreciated.

My Btspeedtester results and modem stats are as follows:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 59 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :286 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 0.64:11.33:89.14 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 728 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 888 Kbps

Router:

Type     Interleave Path             
   Status     SHOWTIME             

Downstream     Upstream
      Data rate(Kbps)     
286Kb     888Kb

Noise Margin     
21     14

Output power(dBm)     
0     257

Attenuation(dB)     
21     7

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yet another BtBroadband user with slow connection...

The moderators might not see your post immediately - after all they probably have other jobs and it is Saturday. You should PM them here:

forum.moderation.team@bt.com

You should include the link to this thread:

http://community.bt.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/BBinHome/message-id/57837

and your account number.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Hi Fargle
You are currently in a banded profile due you a large number of disconnections if you keep a stable connection for 10 days the exchange equipment will remove you from the banding and also raise your ip profile and your speed will rise accordingly if after 10 days you are still in the banding then and only then contact the board mods at forum.moderation.team@bt.com as the banding cannot be removed until that period of time has elapsed
0 Ratings
ITtech
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

IMO nothing to do with banded profiling .. The INP is far too low for a banded profile on 21CN, even at that attenuation. I do wonder whether the "new" router is either set up correctly, or adsl2+ compatible. Besides the liine has gone through training already, and has run for over a month, thereby 10 day means nothing in this case, not even for normal DLM procedure. I would do as wedding says, I think you need msan help, if the router IS compatible.
Click the star if my posts have helped.
0 Ratings
amanda-jayne
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

It Tech The mentioned 10 day period is not referring to line training but is related to getting a banded profile lifted Bt wait to see 10 days stable connection before they will manually lift a banded profile
0 Ratings
ITtech
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

"Bt wait to see 10 days stable connection before they will manually lift a banded profile " A contradiction ... How can the connection be stable, if it's in a banded profile in the first place? Which incidently, it's not .. as I posted. Profile recovery is part of dynamic line management, not somebody tweeking a connection. Impulse noise thresholds have to improve, and the line see historical information to that effect.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@ITtech wrote:
"Bt wait to see 10 days stable connection before they will manually lift a banded profile " A contradiction ... How can the connection be stable, if it's in a banded profile in the first place? Which incidently, it's not .. as I posted. Profile recovery is part of dynamic line management, not somebody tweeking a connection. Impulse noise thresholds have to improve, and the line see historical information to that effect.

If line instability is shown to stabilise normally the exchange equipment will remove the banding however on some occasions it does not release,and bt can release it manually but they like to see hub stats that show that during the line has been stable for a minimum of 5days but 10 is prefered 

0 Ratings
ITtech
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

"If line instability is shown to stabilise normally the exchange equipment will remove the banding however on some occasions it does not release,and bt can release it manually but they like to see hub stats that show that during the line has been stable for a minimum of 5days but 10 is prefered" I'm not sure whose brainwashed you with this stuff, however. FaCT: BT retail complain to BTw about stuck banded profiles, and yes they can reset the INP, but if the line characteristics don't improve, it goes back to where it was. They also operate to strict protocol, and don't put lightweight preference on whether its seen a fixed rate at 5 days or 10. Truth is if the line is seeing high noise margin and not improving, it has a problem, and often can't be fixed, or take advantage of 21CN. Or sometimes it can be fixed, by the customer, if they choose to, or are capable of. It's not in BT's remit to fix home induced noise, but it is for the line, if its possible. They (BTw) can change any workiing parameter they see fit on DLM, but the main reason for it, is to run in AUTO. In other words, they don't do it for all and sundry, or at the drop of a hat, without good reason. Hence, they don't set "preference" for seeing stable connections. They tend to let the physics do its job.
0 Ratings
Fargle
Message 9 of 9

Hi all.

Thanks for the replys. Will try Pm the mods, give them the link to this thread and see what happens.

I accept it's the weekend so, hopefully, I might hear from them during the week.

Will let you know what happens. Cheers.

0 Ratings