Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

(Yet another) Question abot extending Wireless by using HH2

Go to solution

Apologies for yet another question on this subject but I am looking into using my now redundant HH2 as a means to extend wireless coverage from the HH3.

I have looked at the information on Keith Beddoes posts about how to do this but I seem to fall at the first stage, it says to power up the HH2 with nothing else connected and then to connect to the PC via ethernet cable and open the browser to access the hub manager.

My PC has only one ethernet port so if I connect the HH2 to it I have to disconnect the ethernet connection form the HH3 and therfore I have no broadband connection to access the browser. Do I therefore need to get some sort of double ethernet connector (hub) or do I use the existing single ethernet port and connect to Infinity via the HH2 ( if so - how do I do this?)

Sorry if this is really simple stuff but I cannot see which is the best way to proceed.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: (Yet another) Question abot extending Wireless by using HH2

Go to solution

You are connecting to the HH2 management page not the Internet so you do not need to be connected to your HH3. You just plug the HH2 in and click on one of these links. It will take you to the management page and there after follow Keith guide

http://bthomehub.home/

http://192.168.1.254/

rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, tried that and got into the Hub Manager as you suggested and set things up as the guide suggests.

The thing is now, that when I try and connect wirelessly to the HH2, I get a message saying that the connection is authenticating and then it disconnects and connects to the HH3 even though the signal is 'poor' on the HH3 connection and 'Excellent'on the HH2 connection.

What am I doing wrong now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I don't know enough about connecting the hubs together to be able to help but I'm sure Keith will give you the information you need as soon as he reads this post.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

If you are using a home hub 3 version B, adding an extra wireless access point will not work. There was supposed to be a firmware update to fix this issue, but there has been no news about it.

rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Ok,

Thanks for the clarification - it is a type B HH3 so it looks like I am flogging a dead horse. Thanks for the help anyway

0 Ratings
rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Sorry,

So given the problems highlighted above, is it just using a HH2 as a wireless extender that is the problem or is it possible to extend the wireless using other recommended equipment?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@rubble2 wrote:

Sorry,

So given the problems highlighted above, is it just using a HH2 as a wireless extender that is the problem or is it possible to extend the wireless using other recommended equipment?

Thanks

You can use a Universal Wireless Repeater, provided it is compatible with the home hub.

See my instructions here.

Using a TP Link WA701ND