cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Yet another poor sod with slow broadband...

Go to solution

Same old complaint as many previous posters I've read on here...having endured slow speeds for a couple of weeks now (typically .7mb max but often lower) contacted BT Support having tried everything (using master socket, changing channels, ensuring filters on Sky box and landline phone etc)

Support says I should be achieving 5mbps (which I used to until this blip) and fault is with Hub (current one was the "white" one) so a new Home Hub sent out Monday which arrived today (its a "black" one) which I've swapped over and nothings changed, exactly same speed (will post some stats further down this message in a minute as having read copious notes I know people want to see these)

What slightly sickens me is that reading peoples threads it seems despite plenty of advice about faults in the home it seems that the fault nearly always lies in the exchange and to get anything done at that send seems to takes ages to get a resolution...

So...I face the wonderful prospect of calling Support all over again tomorrow and going through the hoops, despite them testing my line and turning it off at the hub for a couple of hours on Monday night.

Right...stats are:

ADSL line status<script type="text/javascript">// var trClass = ["odd", "even"]; var td1 = ["w3", "Line state", "Connection time", "Downstream", "Upstream"]; var td3 = ["w3", "VPI/VCI", "Type", "Modulation", "Latency type", "Noise margin (Down/Up)", "Line attenuation (Down/Up)", "Output power (Down/Up)"]; var td2 = ["", "Connected", "0 days, 1:13:44", "1,152 Kbps", "888 Kbps"]; var td4 = ["", "0/38", "PPPoA", "ITU-T G.992.5", "Interleaved", "32.6 dB / 14.2 dB", "24.0 dB / 8.0 dB", "0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm"]; // </script>

Connection information<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td1, td2); // </script>
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:13:44
Downstream1,152 Kbps
Upstream888 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)32.6 dB / 14.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)24.0 dB / 8.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm

Speedtest carried out an hour ago showed these key numbers:

Download = 477kbs

Upload = 705kbps

DSL connection rate: 1152kbps (downstream), 888kbps (upstream)

IP Profile for your line is: 750kbps (I find this one rather worrying, shouldn't it be much higher???)

Throughput of BE classes achieved during test is: 10.11.23.74:66.15 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

Over to you guys...

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Yet another poor sod with slow broadband...

Go to solution

Your noise margin seems very high. Have you noticed any major changes previously? (other than sync speed)

Even wierder, your upload test is actuallt faster than your download :S

http://www.o2user.co.uk/forum/o2-broadband-tutorial-section/770-router-stats-sync-noise-attenuation-...

The connection between you and the exchange is made up of two copper wires. Copper is a great transmission medium but it also is susceptible to various electromagnetic interference, generally known as noise. Any length of copper wire will naturally carry noise but the longer it is the more likely it is to be noisy. The challenge for your router is to distinguish between background noise and the ADSL signal. You may have heard the term Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). This is simply the ratio between the strength of the signal and the background noise on the line expressed in decibels.

The noise margin reported by your router is not a measure of noise on your line. It is a measure of the margin it has given itself when it negotiated with the exchange. This is in effect the difference between the actual SNR and the SNR the router requires to run at a given speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped, then consider clicking the star to the left
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

I don't think this is an exchange problem but a problem caused by all the disconnections/resets (as seen by the very high noise margin of 32.6 as normal about 6) which has happened as you have tried to get a better connection.  You are on 21CN adsl2+ up to 20 mb and with your attenuation and a good line I would expect somewhere about 18mb.

however the result of all the resets is that the exchange has put you in a banded profile and high noise margin until your line stabilises.

I think if you stay connected 24/7 with no resets/disconnections then your connection should get out banded profile in 3/5 days and speed increase.  your profile may take a few days longer before it rises to match your speed.

if after the 3/5 days your speed is still the same then you will need mod assistance to get out of the banded profile but it should be automatic.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Okay...I'm sceptical but willing to give it a try...in the nicest possible way I hope I don't need to revisit here

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

I hope after the period you do come back but with good news.

check your potential speed here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

here are the bands and you can see your speed

ADSL2+ Banded Line Profiles
160Kbps - 288Kbps
288Kbps - 576Kbps
576Kbps - 1152Kbps
1152Kbps - 2272Kbps
1472Kbps - 3072Kbps
2272Kbps - 4544Kbps
3328Kbps - 6656Kbps
4864Kbps - 9728Kbps
7168Kbps - 14336Kbps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Well...here we are back again on Sunday after problem highlighted on Thursday...zero change and test results today show it as poor as ever...I really do have my doubts that this problem is ever going to resolve itself without somebody at BT getting involved...this has been going on for several weeks.

Totally and utterly frustrated...maybe Sky's offer (and they have their own in my local exchange) are a better bet...

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
483 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 483 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 4.55:16.66:78.83 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
702 Kbps

0 Kbps888 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 702 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 888 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

what about router stats showing details including connection time?

also it is only 3 days since post and it can take 3/5 days of 24/7 connection

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

...and I know you'll ask for ADSL stats again...

ADSL line status<script type="text/javascript">// var trClass = ["odd", "even"]; var td1 = ["w3", "Line state", "Connection time", "Downstream", "Upstream"]; var td3 = ["w3", "VPI/VCI", "Type", "Modulation", "Latency type", "Noise margin (Down/Up)", "Line attenuation (Down/Up)", "Output power (Down/Up)", "Loss of Framing (Local)", "Loss of Signal (Local)", "Loss of Power (Local)", "FEC Errors (Down/Up)", "CRC Errors (Down/Up)", "HEC Errors (Down/Up)", "Error Seconds (Local)"]; var td2 = ["", "Connected", "2 days, 16:13:41", "1,152 Kbps", "888 Kbps"]; var td4 = ["", "0/38", "PPPoA", "ITU-T G.992.5", "Interleaved", "32.8 dB / 14.4 dB", "24.0 dB / 8.0 dB", "0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm", "0", "0", "0", "1541 / 0", "0 / 2147480000", "nil / 0", "0"]; // </script>

Connection information<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td1, td2); // </script>
Line stateConnected
Connection time2 days, 16:13:41
Downstream1,152 Kbps
Upstream888 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)32.8 dB / 14.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)24.0 dB / 8.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1541 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

your stats are looking ok now but you are still in the banded profile.  as I said it can take 3/5 days solid connection and you are still less than 3 days

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution
And has been said 3/5 days give it 5days then post back and contact the board mods at forum.moderation.team@bt.com
post them your phone number bt account number and a link to this thread and they will get back to you and then sort your low profile and banding out
0 Ratings