Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Yet another speed report

Hi All,

Like many others here I have recently moved to BT having previously been with TalkTalk and am nothing if not disappointed with their broadband.  I am using the same line as I was with TalkTalk but I guess they had LLU as their service was far better.

I have a HH4 so the diagnostics/logs are limited but what I could find is below :-

(483444.270000) DSL is up
10:33:40, 29 Jan.(483441.820000) DSL noise margin: 22.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
10:33:40, 29 Jan.(483441.750000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 4992 Kbps downstream

I ran the BT speed tester and was dismayed to see that in the week since I was connected by IP profile has come down from 7MPS to 4.4.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.37 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.4 Mbps

I was quite happy with TalkTalk running at a steady 6.7-7.0 Mbps but BT is seriously slow compared to that.  My upload speed was 0.8-0.9Mbps but is now :-

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

Of course they now insist on an 18 month contract so even though they are not providing the service I expected I can't get out of it as they will just say that the service is 'within their expected range'.  I just can't see what I can do now as the speed is now dropping below that which I need to watch NetFlix / Now TV et al.  I can guarantee I won't stay with them after the 18 months but what to do in the meantime?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Yet another speed report

What does this link say your speed should be https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

It may be possible you are on ADSLMax now but were on ADSL2+ with TalkTalk - possibly.

0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I'm not sure what it means but it does say that WBC ADSL2+ is availablewith a downstream rate of (upto) 7Mbps and a downstream range of 6-12 Mbps.  ADSLMax is available up to 4.5 downstream rate 4.5 -  6.5.

As I said it was bad enough when from Day 1 is was less than TalkTalk but now its 40% worse.  Surely there must be some thing in contract law for unfair contracts when you have to sign up for an 18 month contract (verbally I would add as there are no written forms these days) but the service cannot be measured until well after the contract starts.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

you are on ADSL MAX the up to 8mb not the ADSL 2 SERVICE  this happens when the line cannot support 8 mb + the forum mods will beable to help you 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Once the Forum Mods have read your post they will post an invite here once you reply to them they will take personal ownership of the problem until resolved.
Do not send them a Personal Message as this is the incorrect contact method and cannot be properly tracked also the mod contacted may not be on shift for sometime and this will delay your help

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them
They will contact you personally by email or phone  

mod contact.JPG

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 6 of 14

Hi cmdrew65,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting!

I can help you with the upgrade.  To get in touch, click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to "contact the mods".

Please include the link to this thread when you complete the form and whenever we've received your details we'll take it from there.

Thanks a million,

Robbie

0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

OK - contacted you direct - Technical support are rubbish - all they keep saying is that I am over the 'minimum promised speed' of 3Mbps.  At no time was I told the speed on the line would or could be that slow as I wouldn't have gone with BT In that case.   Now waiting for ever for Customer Options team if I can ever get through.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

just leave it with the mods now make no further calls please
0 Ratings
cmdrew65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I've just spend the last hour and a half on the phone to BT and I must admit I have never encountered such poor customer service - no wonder they are loosing market share.  From one department to another - customer options and customer service say one thing and technical say another.

On what planet do BT think they are on when their service offers just over half the speed of another provider using they same line.  To say I am somewhat upset with them is a huge understatement so I guess I better not post anymore until I have calmed down.  Suffice to say that Twitter and Facebook will be getting their fair share of postings from me today!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

as i posted please now leave it with the mod team they will take personal ownership and give a single UK based point of contact until resolved

As I explained you have been placed on ADSL MAX to provide the maximum stable speed as your line cannot support over 8mb BT Wholesale place the line on ADSL MAX As it can only support a maximum of 7MB
0 Ratings