cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Yet more spam sent from my e-mail account

Twice in a matter of weeks and it's so **bleep** annoying. Don't have a virus on the laptop and it's the same type of spam. Just a weird German website url sent in an e-mail to contacts and people i've sent e-mails to.

Any word on when this will be resolved ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yet more spam sent from my e-mail account

Hi MarkUK,

The link below may be of some help on how to check and what to do if your BT Yahoo account has been compromised:

How to check and what to do if your BTYahoo account has been compromised

Also you may be aware that BT are moving their email and associated services away from Yahoo sometime this summer. For more information on this please go to www.bt.com/newemail

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

I have just had the same thing from one of my yahoo email accounts, checked in sent emails and there was nothing there but when I checked recent login activites it showed this:

yahoo.jpg

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I've just checked the log and someone accessed it from Croatia at 11.50 this morning.

Pathetic nothing has been done yet.

11:50BrowserMail AccessCroatia
  11:50Yahoo! Partner's ApplicationLogged InCroatia
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

What is this log, and how do I access it? 

I've had the same problem, so, after pruning my contacts, I've added a three character code before each domain name. It's a different set of characters for each web mail account, and also for my Windows Live Mail client. 

However, after running three different malware checkers, I'm convinced the problem is with Yahoo, not with anything on my laptop. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

@ oldie68

Use the link shown in jac_95's post above and then follow step 2

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thanks, I did that and found the following :

Jun 5, 201304:03BrowserMail AccessBrazil
 Jun 5, 201304:03Yahoo! Partner's ApplicationLogged InBrazil

I've no idea what a "Partner Application" is, but clearly that's what Yahoo should be investigating. 

I've saved that web page to my Favourites, but if we're being moved to another server there's not a lot of point setting up the second authentification facility. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

I discovered that SPAM was being sent from my email and followed the instructions as previously advised. My query is, once a SPAM email has been sent to one of my contacts, what is to stop further SPAM being sent to them as the sender will know their email address.  Hope this makes sense! I am not a technical expert!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@Dovershark wrote:

I discovered that SPAM was being sent from my email and followed the instructions as previously advised. My query is, once a SPAM email has been sent to one of my contacts, what is to stop further SPAM being sent to them as the sender will know their email address.  Hope this makes sense! I am not a technical expert!

It would depend if they have kept the deails of the email addresses they have sent to. ie the ones they have stolen from you.

I would suggest that after having changed your password and security questions that you do not store contacts on webmail unless you really have to. It is far better to set up an email client such as Outlook, Windows Live mail or Thunderbird and keep your contacts on your computer.

This prevents them being re spammed if your account becomes compromised again.

You can also keep or your received emails on your computer and back them up which is safer than leaving them on Yahoos servers.

This may also be the best thing to do before BT migrate your email from Yahoo to BT Mail incase there are problems and your contacts and emails on the servers get lost. 

Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Fortunately it looks like BT is moving mail platform as soon as it can, hopefully this will help to sort out the problem. Pity Yahoo don't do some sort of country lock and two factor authentication.

0 Ratings