Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

You View Box - numerous problems

Have had problem with the You View box since we got it:

- Just turned on this morning, presses BBC1, then channel comes on then after a couple of seconds the screen goes blank and no sound, switch channels, same thing

- Failed recordings

- Players don't work, e.g. Demand 5 and BBC iPlayer

- It is just so frustrating, power off, restart and the same problems the a few hours later or the next day

After being with BT for about 20 years, it is time to leave, the service over the past few years has been appaling. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Message 2 of 7

Re: You View Box - numerous problems

I have had all these problems since getting my box in June. All recordings say failed. Box gets stuck on or off. Channels randomly cut off to blank screen when watching and won't go back on. Tryed retuning channels but it gets stuck at 99% and freezes!!! Very frustrated!!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Hello,

Have you tried a software update followed by re-tuning channels ???

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for your reply and suggestion - I have just checked that everything is as up to date as possible, which it is.

Same problems still, no recordings for the past 3 days, switch the power on, blue light comes on, the channel comes on (picture and sound) for a couple of seconds and then goes off. Only way to get it back is to switch it off at the back and start again. So may as well keep switched off. Really fed up with it. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I have the same intemittant problem.  I can tell when it starts to happen as some of the recordings from the internet channels become pixalated and unwatchable, although when the problem goes away they return to normal.  I have found that turning it off and on at the back and keeping software, and channel tuning up-to-date sometimes helps otherwise it just goes away overnight. 

I am connected directly to the infinity router and use a TV signal booster.

Very frustrating. Intermitant faults are a pain, it would be better if the box collapsed completely.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I`m also a very frustrated Youview user with what I believe to be a faulty box which keeps freezing and losing the broadband connection (although it hasnt lost the broadband over the last couple of days and I updated the software on Friday).

Over the last few months I have used it less and less due to the freezing and having to restart it and also finding that the broadband had disconnected for no apparent reason (at the time it was connected to a HH4 on infinity with around 60mbps download etc). The last straw came last week whilst abroad on holiday and my daughter contacted me to find out how to reset the box due to being frozen.

I have previously always kept the software up to date and have tried doing maintenance mode full resets (retaining recordings) as well as reset deleting recordings. Still the box continued to lock up. Box is connected to Infinity with good download and upload via a HH4 and now HH5. TV signal is strong and high qulaity.

Anyway, Friday night I phoned BTtech support (Iindia) they wanted to go through the full reset deleting recordings but were happy that I had previously done so. The box showed the last check for software update as being that day but the advice was to click on `update` anyway (which I did ) and it updated the software to v18.something. SO then it was finger crossed and hope it was resolved.

Saturday morning I swapped out the HH4 for a HH5, reconnected the box and sat down to use the iplayer and the box immediately froze. Joy!

Phoned BT Tech (India) and after a long time on hold the solution was to get a BT engineer to come out and `check my setup`(only slightly insulting!). This becomes difficult because of the hours that I work and the amout of time I will lose to come home to meet the engineer. I even suggested that I had heard that I may be able to upgrade the box for around £35 and I would happily pay that rather than lose the time and money to meet an engineer. Their only answer was that I could go to my nearest BT shop and buy a new box - Thanks!!

For now I have arranged a visit on Friday and it seems to be the only way forward. I have no doubt  that the box will work whilst the engineer is here as it is hit and miss as to when it works/fails/locks.

Any other advice on a way of moving this on or resolving would be appreciated. Im in contract until November.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Hi Guys,

If you are having problems with the Youview box, I'll be able to look into this for you. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings