cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grillpan
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

You View Box with Currys Internal Free View Aerial. No Channels. Belfast N Ireland

Hi there, 

I just recently got a Youview box from BT. Basic package with BT Sport. 

When i was setting the box up i had an old length of coax from a TV aerial with a fitting on the back I plugged itno the back of the box.

Got 168 channels and the 99 subscribed channels. No RTE 1 or 2 Though. 

So i went to Curry and bought an OneForAll Amplified Indoor Aerial with a 42 DB range hoping to get a better signal.  It is HD compatible and has a 4G/LTE Filter if that makes any difference. 

Plugged it in and retuned and then had no Freeview channels and just the 99 subscribed channels!

So i brought it back and got another one as i thought it was faulty. Plugged it in, retuned and the same thing. 

Plugged back in my old length of coax and i have 168 channels again!!

Sometimes i do get a weak signal message though so its not a long term fix. 

Why does this brand new aerial not work with box and an old cable does? 

Also what do i need to do to get RTE? 

Many thanks in advance for any help. 

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: You View Box with Currys Internal Free View Aerial. No Channels. Belfast N Ireland

Hello @grillpan

You will always get better results with a properly installed outdoor aerial with solid connections. Any new external aerial should be more than enough for what you are after. Check your local area for a reputable installer if needs be.

You say you are in Belfast. Here is some reading on RTE availability in Northern Ireland https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/how-do-i-get-tg4-rte-one-and-rte-two

You can pop your postcode in here for a detailed breakdown of what you should be receiving 

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/

0 Ratings
grillpan
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Re: You View Box with Currys Internal Free View Aerial. No Channels. Belfast N Ireland

Cheers for the info.

But why is it working with a dodgy piece of coax and not with a brand new internal aerial?

The coax is only two metres long and sitting at the window!

Cheers

S
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you are getting good results from a bit of coax, then it means you are close to the transmitter, and adding an amplified aerial is simply going to overload the YouView box and prevent it extracting all of the mux data.

Picture breakup or missing FreeView channels

On the Freeview website it says.

"RTÉ One (channel 52) is only available to Freeview customers in certain parts of Northern Ireland. Please check your coverage."

Are you sure you can actually receive those channels?

If you can, then you may need to have an outside directional aerial to point to the transmitter that is transmitting the mux.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

In Belfast you get TG4, RTE1, RTE2 on the NIMUX from the Black Mountain or Carnmoney Hill transmitters BUT NOT from the main Divis mast.

0 Ratings
grillpan
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks a million chaps.

I have two aerials already up on the roof.

Should I just get someone to run some coax down from that and into the back of the box?

Or would that overload it?

Hopefully I can get RTE sorted. I'm in Rosetta on the Ormeau.

Cheers

Sean.
0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

That puts you on the Divis transmitter. The 2nd aerial probably is/was for the full rte service from a transmitter in the Republic. You will only get RTE if that is still getting a signal fom there. You would really need to speak to a local installer or speak with a neighbour to see if RTE can be picked up by that 2nd aerial in your location as you won't pick it up from Divis.

A local installer would be able to advise you on what you need to achieve proper Freeview and (if possible) RTE signals.

https://www.saorview.ie/

0 Ratings