Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

You View + Box without an aerial

Go to solution
I've had 2 different answers from
You View themselves and from BT so can any users help please before I purchase a new box?
I have satellite installed, at the minute with Sky but I am going onto Freesat. I do not have an aerial and with Freesat do not need one.
The entertainment package with BT offers premium channels that aren't available on Freesat and which I believe are received via broadband.
Now comes the interesting bit. You View tell me that without an aerial, I would still be able to receive premium channels via broadband and record them.
BT have just told me no, I would need an aerial to get these channels.
As I'm not interested in the normal through the aerial channels, can someone who actually has a BT You View box advise on what I can and cannot get without an aerial and if in fact whether I can record just via CAT5 and broadband?
Thank you.
Steven
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: You View + Box without an aerial

Go to solution
Channels like BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 etc come down the TV Arial, whilst the "extra channels" and BT Sport come from the internet.

To check if you can receive them got to:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

And post your results excluding your telephone number

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you for your prompt reply to me and I apologise for perhaps not being too clear.

I do have BT Infinity 2 with unlimited download and I get around 56mbps download. I can therefore receive all the premium channels via broadband. I also have Freesat so I can get all the channels that Freeview or Yourview offer and therefore I dont need an aerial.

What I dont have are the premium channels that are streamed via broadband to the BT Youview+ box.

My queries remain therefore:

1. Can I manage without an aerial and forego the channels that are transmitted that way but still receive the premium channels streamed via broadband - BT customer services says that I cannot.

2. If I can receive the premium channels via broadband (without an aerial) and can I still record them on the Youview+ box - BT customers services say that I cannot but Youview themselves say that I can.

I just need some practical advice from users please.

Steven

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

What BT actually say on their web page is

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48736/~/do-extra-tv-channels-on-youview-work-without-...

Your YouView+ from BT needs to be connected to a TV aerial and the internet in order to watch Freeview TV channels, Extra TV channels and On Demand programmes. Your Freeview channels come through the TV aerial and your Extra TV and On Demand come through your broadband line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
1. Yes you can

2. Yes you can

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

So your BT  (IPTV) channels and your BT player on demand/catch up does not depend upon an aerialo being connected.

Freeview channels will require a suitable aerial connection.

Some Youview players do require an aerial connection to verify location to determine (geographic) elidigibilty to recieve their content. Often it is only necessary to connect an aerial and scan once to satisfy this criteria although at least one player did flirt with requiring a connection at time of viewing .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you Rarmitage124.

i know what BT put in their website but sometimes you have to look beyond their statements - or is it more looking sideways? In any event, you have answered my queries and confirmed what Youview say.

As to BT customer services, I didn't have too much faith in them understanding and the operator even went to the supervisor. I suspect they just looked st and repeated the Company statement. That's why I came to actual users.

Thank you again and I can now make an iformed decision on the best way forward. All other streaming devices don't permit recordings to be made whereas I now know the BT Youview+ box will (even without an serial) and that is as I thought.

Thanks again.

Steven

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Steven,

would you help me please as I have got the same issue. I have got satellite only at home and awaiting unlimited BT infinity1 service to start next week. It will cost me £250 to install an aerial. Do I really need it? I want to know which channel I won't be able to watch if I don't get the aerial please. would it be possible to watch BT sport etc. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
Hi MRabie
When the BT Youview box arrives it first wants an aerial connection to get your location. I was able to do this with a neighbour.
Afterwards I took the box to our house & connected without an aerial. The box switched on fine but no terrestrial channels channels were available, only those that streamed through the broadband - BT Sport etc.
In the end, we did connect via an aerial to get the best experience - you say it will cost you £250 but if you contact BT I think they do a deal with their boxes to install an aerial for a fixed price if £60.
Hope this helps.
Steven
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks Steven, I did that already through BT but the guy who came said he can't put a new aerial for health and safety reasons as he can't get to my roof! and recommended to contact a local company who can do the job. Sounds weird but I couldn't argue.
0 Ratings