Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nland-Knight
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

YouView 4k Box constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to internet

Go to solution

Not the first issue I've had of this nature since installation in May. Thought it had settled over last few months or so, but now disconnecting and almost instantly reconnecting to broadband every few minutes, bearing in mnd I'm only really interested in recording sport on internet channels, you can imagine how annoying/unwatchable those shows are becoming. Also when we are watching a freeview channel, we get constant on screen messages advising of disconnection/reconnection.

Any thoughts anyone??

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: YouView 4k Box constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to internet

Go to solution
How is the box connected to the hub?

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Nland-Knight
Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution
By Ethernet cable.

Even more annoying just come in went to watch footy recorded off Sky Sports, it had failed to record and all internet channels had disappeared. A simple switch off reboot corrected that, but that's hardly the point.
0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Maybe the cable or the hub are faulty. 

0 Ratings
Nland-Knight
Contributor
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

Already substituted the cable Marty and switched the cable to different ports in Hub, my thoughts are faulty BOX as we never loose any internet connection per se, have a seamless signal round the house to laptop pc's (which we use to watch TV via BT app Netlix etc and also my daughters Firestick TV all of which work perfectly all the time. In fact I was watching a film perfectly on Amazon last night as my wifes XFactor viewing was being continually interrupted by the on screen Disconnected/Connected messages.

0 Ratings
Nland-Knight
Contributor
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

This morning a recording overnight on ESPN failed and I had a message on screen saying I had No Access To Internet channels (or similar phrase) The usual 'turn it off/on again' provides the quick short term fix of course.
So silly question now, if this was Sky (who I was with for 20 years until May) they wouldn't make me put up with this tosh, within standard 1 year warranty, they'd just send an engineer out, who, 9 times in 10, would just fit you a new working box free of charge. Do BT / YouView offer similar? Hell, I don't even know if my 4 month old and clearly faulty box HAS a warranty?

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

Hi - just to confirm that you are using the supplied HomeHub and your YV box is connected directly to that with an ethernet cable? You don't share the internet connection at the TV using an ethernet switch do you?

Do you have any other items connected to the homehub apart from your YV box?

0 Ratings
Nland-Knight
Contributor
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

Yes, Home Hub as supplied on May 17th and connected directly to YV 4k Box by Ethernet at a distance of about 12 inches. Nothing else directly connected to hub.

Another incident last night, recorded another 2 progs on ESPN starting at 1am. Live Canadian Football, the 3 hour game prog recorded, but wouldn't play back, the prog immediately after (vital to record with Live US sports in case of the inevitabal programme overrun) failed.

After Switch off/on it would actually play the Canadian football game, but not the failed recording obviously. The US college football season starts this weekend (only reason I subscribe to BT) and with over 100 live games to record between now and Xmas, this is going to prove a nightmare!

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Another option could be to login to your bt homehub (192.168.1.254) as admin and go to:

Advanced Settings then Home Network then IP Addresses

What do you have the lease time set to be?

For example I have mine set to the max of 21 days.

If yours was very low (e.g. 1 hour) that might be an issue.

Failing that there's always  the maintenance mode recovery to see if that helps:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52169/~/how-do-i-reset-my-youview-box-from-bt

My 4K box wasn't happy with the latest software update, failing to record and then getting stuck on the startup screen.

I did the maintenance mode recovery selecting the 'Factory Reset - Keep Recordings' option which resolved my issue. I did have to hide all the previously hidden channels and go through all the settings to put them back to my preferences.

Worth a try at least?

0 Ratings
Nland-Knight
Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution
Thanks 89, it was on 1 day to set to 21, lets see what happens. I'll report back early next week. I'm away for weekend and have set about 6 American football games to record.
0 Ratings