Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcummings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 31

Re: YouView Broadband usage

Adding relevant question from Ask the Expert Live Discussion – YouView from BT

http://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Ask-the-Expert-Live-Discussion-YouView-from-BT/td-p/70176...

7:14 Comment From Dee
Hi guys, will YouView usage count towards my broadband usage?

7:21 Sam:
Hi Dee, Yes, with a BT Vision subscription, all your on-demand viewing (including all Vision on-demand, all catch-up as well as players such as NowTV) is exempt from any broadband usage allowance. So you don't need to worry how much you watch.

0 Ratings
aliwest
Beginner
Message 12 of 31

Great BT aren't they? Third rate service first clsss charges! I've been there with these charges so felt compelled to go onto their unlimited broadband. Only problem is that now my broadband speed is so slow I couldn't go over my limit if I tried. Can't wait for December so I can leave their poor service.

0 Ratings
gcummings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 31

Thinking I will have to give in and move my mum to unlimited as well, which she really doesnt need, just so she wont have to worry with being hit with large bills.  I could understand if she went over the 10GB limit be a small amount but not to this extent... I am still convinced it's caused by her youview usage.

This has been going on so long that she now has 2 FUP charges of £35 showing in her usage so far... still another month to go before we see if they will be included on her actual bill  Smiley Surprised

I have submitted a request to the mods to see if they can help, really can't face phoning BT again to spend an hour going around in circles  Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 31

This seems to be a very common problem.

Since moving to Youview, my average broadband usage has jumped from 3 - 4 GB/month to >15 GB/month.

We use the On Demand content a lot - but we are doing nothing else different from before we took on Youview. And yet - the usage monitor always claims that we are using an absurdly low 0.12 GB via Youview.

It's clear that usage is being wrongly allocated - there is no way that our Youview usage can be so low & our total usage so high.

Very frustrating.

0 Ratings
SidHarper
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 31

Happy New Year to all. It's clearly been a while since the last posts here and I'm about to move to BT...

Does anyone know if the above anomaly has been corrected, and also does usage off devices other than the YouView box get allocated correctly too or are they doing some kind of IDing on what is requesting the data. 

NowTV specifically supports multiple viewing devices - I'd still like to be able to use it on my tablets for the kids whilst watching normal telly. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 31

Sid - it will count towards your data allowance if you’re not on Unlimited Broadband and watch Now TV on other devices in the home.

0 Ratings
SidHarper
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 31

Thanks. Have moved to unlimited - we were chomping through a gig a day and more at the weekends without that - was never going to last a month!

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 18 of 31

I just 'installed' You View for the first time and noticed the following statment on the set up screens.

From memory but the gist is correct.

'You View catch-up (iPlayer etc) & other 'On-demand' is counted against your monthly data allowance'

This would seem to contradict other posts here!!

I was assured, by the 'Options Team' that I did not need to up my allowance to unlimited from my current 40GB as all the standard YouView was included. There are a couple of on demand that are subscription.

Irrespective of what we might be told the legal side is stipulated on 'installation'

I am still within my 14 day 'cooling off period' so can cancel.

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 31

If you have a subscription to BTTV then Youview usage doesn't count towards any allowance.
0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 20 of 31

The BT TV Starter Package is £0 so does not have a subscription.

0 Ratings