cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RadioGaga
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

YouView DTR2100 Remote STILL works VERY Intermittently

Having now read several threads on here concerning the very poor communication between the remote control and the DTR2100 STB I am staggered that it appears there is still no progress to fixing this well recognised and very known issue.

I have now recieved 2 x DTR2100's and one extra remote control. This being the suggested fix from BT's customer service, from support advisers who 'appear' to know nothing of this issue.

I have spent hours swapping the boxes over time and again, monitoring which remote appears to work best (none of them as it happens) and have tyurned to this forum here to see that it is a well recognised problem of the Plasma TV emitting IR blocking light !!

I have had a Panasonic Viera Plasma TV for several years and I ain't changing it for BT.

Are you really telling me that the manufacturer Humax have still not affected a proper fix for this problem ??

Over the years I have had several Humax Satelite Freesat tuners, earlier YouView boxes and whilst they have all had an issue with 'lag' when sending a comand to the box,  especially within a programme guide menu, never have I experienced this IR blocking issue on remote commands across the board.

I have to press a command 5, 6 or even 7 times to get the box to change. The volume control is a farce. I am not using the TV speakers and route through an AV tuner which I am also not changing for this BT issue.

SO I really do have to stick some paper, or weed control matting on the front of my DTR2100 STB, or turn it around backwards, or hide it somewhere other than near the TV to attempt to cure this problem??

Really ??

This is defintely a Sale Of Goods Act "Not fit for purpose" situation.

I have Amazon Fire - Works perfectly,

SKY HD - Work perfectly,

DVD player - Works perfectly.

Simple question before I start the contract cancellation process - BT, What is the proper PROFESSIONAL fix for this problem ??

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
JoshJ
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: YouView DTR2100 Remote STILL works VERY Intermittently

Hi RadioGaga,

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having with the YouView STB and remote control. This is the first time I've heard of the issues you are having.

While I understand you have had two remote controls from BT, it may be worth while trying to do a factory reset of your YouView box (if not already done) to see if that resolves the issue. Instructions on how to factory reset the box can be found here.

If you have any recordings then I would recommend using the factory reset option that uses the buttons on your box as you can then do a factory reset while keeping your recordings.

If that does not work then you can try resetting the remote control, instructions can be found here. If all of the above does not resolve the issue then it might be worthwhile getting back in contact with BT via live chat or by calling 0800 800 150.

All the best,

JoshJ

0 Ratings
RadioGaga
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi JoshJ

I am really surprised that you have no previous experience of this issue.

For reference it should help for you to work through these sample threads below, it will highlight the problem as a very real issue.

At the advice of telephone support, I have already tried re-setting the boxes, I have also re-set the remote controls.

The replacement remote sent was described as 'different' and 'tested' by the support adviser, I was asked if the remotes I had were the type with a coloured stick-on raised BT logo. The one sent had a printed BT logo. This was supposed to be sufficiently different to likely solve the problem, although the problem was not recognised by the UK based support adviser.

Please read through these following links to bring yourself up to speed with this particular problem.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/YouView-remote-control-works-very-intermittently/m-p/17510...

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/new-YouView-Box-remote-control-diabolical/td-p/1680708

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/YouView-Remote-Control-incompatibility/td-p/1693370

In summary, I have now set the boxes up in front of a LED TV and they work absolutely perfectly with any combination of matching remote controls.

This confirms that Humax (BT) have not completed their research and development properly and have released this model of STB onto the market with insufficient IR shielding so that a Plasma type TV will almost obliterate the IR STB remote control commands. 

For corporations as large as Humax (and therefore BT) this is totally unacceptable.

Thank you for responding, regards, Rob.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Maybe the reason you haven't heard of this @JoshJ is because you are only new to these forums? This is a very well documented flaw with these boxes, a simple forum search would have thrown up enough threads where people have reached out for help with this very issue. There is no point in doing factory resets or anything else with the box, unfortunately the only fixes are the ones @RadioGaga has found on here already, that is to cover the ir sensor in the front of the box or 'hide' the box from the tv.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

You got there before me @RadioGaga Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
JoshJ
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Apologies that I was not aware of this well know issue. I was basing this off experience other than this forum and as stated by MadRob I am new to this forum.

Of course the tips I provided are basic things to try and resolve the issue.

JoshJ

0 Ratings
RadioGaga
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

@MadRob No worries, thanks for your support clarifying this. I just cannot believe the denial and lack of meanigful support Humax and BT are demonstrating over this.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Any suggestions @JoshJ are better than no help at all. It's what forums are for, at least I think so anyway, getting help but also using what knowledge we have to help others.

Oh, should have said, welcome aboard Josh.

@RadioGaga  Couldn't agree more. I had the same issues with my box which I rectified by sticking a bit of paper in front of the sensor on the box. Not ideal, but it worked. Recently I changed my telly in the sales and now no more problems with the remote.

0 Ratings