cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philconnelly
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

YouView Remote Control incompatibility

I bought 2 x You view boxes about a month ago taking 2 days off work for delivery and installation, and my (main) living room one has never worked properly. There is an incompatibility problem with the remote and my Samsung TV in that the remote almost never works when the TV is on. I've had 4 remote controls so far, the last one I was told was a special one - I.e. fobbed off yet again by extremely poor, out-of-country customer support. The YouView box will switch channels fine if I switch my TV off. I wish I'd never bought the **bleep** things and am actively trying to have my package cancelled, never to come back.
0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: YouView Remote Control incompatibility

Welcome to this user forum.

Seems to me that its more an issue with the Samsung TV interfering with the infra red signals from the remote control. You have already proven this.

Have you looked on the public YouView used forum, as I believe this has been reported before? I seem to think its also been mentioned on this forum.

See if its possible to move the YouView box slightly, so that infra red radiation from the TV, does not block the signals from the remote control.

Its certainly not grounds for cancellation, as the issue is with your own equipment, not the BT YouView service.

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

I have to disagree that it's the customers fault for having a TV near the youview box. Nothing to do with Samsung, I have a Panasonic an exactly the same problem. The problem is with the IR sensor on the box, this has been proven. Yes the TV may be the source of interferance, but it needs to be on to watch it.
It's not the size of the wand but the magic in the stick.
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 26

My remote acts very much in an intermittent fashion. I've mentioned this before so no need for details.

I even went so far as to block/cover all other equipment sensors (proved they weren't working by testing each one in turn) and still no difference in the response of the YV remote with the YV box. Quite clearly there are some here who aren't prepared to accept these boxes (or the remotes) aren't working in the manner they should.

I'm prepared to put up with it until my current contract ends and then contemplate a move elsewhere. I've never had this issue with any other tele-visual equipment (and believe me I've tried almost everything that comes along as I'm a bit over the top when it comes to having the latest in tech). 

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

I feel your pain, don't know if you've seen the other thread about this.
To test if the TV screen is interfering with the it sensor on the box, place a piece of half folded a4 printer paper in front of the box sensor (right hand side) and see if remote works now.
If it does then the it on the box is too sensitive to the TV light.
I got around this by putting a 1 inch square of black garden weed control mat.
This solved the problem and it works perfect and a lot easier than trying to get BT to resolve the problem.
0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 6 of 26

i have a Panasonic plasma and after a month of this its driving me mad.  It is clearly the Youview box at fault.

It would be useful if you could post a picture of your solution for others to emulate please.

The actual BT Youview service is very good but is badly marred by this particulalr issue and I would not currently recommend it to anyone for this reason.

Wilf

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Sorry, it should have said " the IR sensor on the box is too sensitive to the TV light.
And to stick the mat over the IR sensor on the box with sellotape.
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 26

Where exactly is the ir sensor on the yv box guys?

0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 9 of 26

@robert1997 wrote:

Where exactly is the ir sensor on the yv box guys?

- .... " the box sensor (right hand side) "  ie behind the plastic fascia facing forward ....

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

If you shine a torch in you will see it.
0 Ratings