Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 26

Re: YouView Remote Control incompatibility

Thank you @speedtrip and @curlywatts

That little trick does make a difference. Still not 100% responsive but certainly much less frustrating than before.

Not sure though what has been causing the interference, if indeed that's what the actual problem is, as previously I'd covered all other sensors with no positive outcome, BUT if this continues to work I'll not comcern myself with the reason behind it.

0 Ratings
curlywatts
Contributor
Message 12 of 26

As far as I know its the TV light that interferes with the signal from the remote to the box.
It's not the size of the wand but the magic in the stick.
0 Ratings
kitkat55
Beginner
Message 13 of 26

My youview box arrived yesterday,  just for clarity I have a 43" samsung Plasma.

Hours and hours of trying to work out why the remote/box were unresponsive. it felt very much like the box was fast but the remote wasn't being detected correctly.

Now 100% fixed ( after almost 4 hours of experimenting! )

I tried a all in one remote, this gave better results but still frustrating to use.

I tried covering the front of the box with 2-4 layers of masking tape- this gave only a small improvement.

Final fix...   Turned the box around so the **bleep** end of the box is pointing towards the front and the sensor on the front of the youview box is basically below and behind the tv.

The box works 100% flawlessly.

It's not the fix I wanted as it looks a bit of a git but hey. it works !

Intend to experiement a bit more tonight to see if I can actually get the box to work if I put it completley out of sight behind the tv. I will report back.

0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 14 of 26

I called BT about this last Friday and they walked me through a long process of reseting the box, doing a firmware update and they also did something to my HH6.  Either way, the problem imprived significantly but only lasted for an hour and was as bad as ever.

I then tried turning the box round so that the front faced the back of the cabinet in which it was housed as suggested elsewhere and this did indeed improve things significantly though my wife rightly complained that she couldn't see the lights on the front so couldn't see if the box was on, recording or connected to the internet.

I've now taped a small piece of black cloth (2cm x 1cm) over the front of the box where the sensor is and this has solved the problem completely.

I suspect that the front panel has been changed by the manufacturer and is not filtering IR light as it should.  I also wonder does the IR receiver have some sort of automatic gain control which might explain why the box seemed to work OK staright after the reset.  It does appear though that the filtering provided by the front panel is less than adequate.

Wilf

0 Ratings
Stevetuc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 26

i have to agree it's the fault of the Youview box - I experienced this with the TalkTalk DN370T which needed paper over its sensor and the cure with the DN372T which had ungraded hardware to cope with the emissions from the Plasma. I recently moved to BT and got an unwelcome surprise- the Humax BT badged DTR T2110 has the same problem - unresponsive remote that is cured with white paper over the sensor. Does anyone know it BT are aware of this issue? Otherwise a fault log will just result in them swapping the box for another with same issue. .it really needs updated hardware. I also wonder if the Ultra Hd box has the same issue.. BT could provide these as a fix assuming it's a long wait till the DTR T2110 is upgraded.
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 26

If you look closely at threads on this and similar topics you will notice that IR interference from some TVs are reported as occurring with the UHD box as well as the DTR2100. Google Ir interference from TV sets and you will see that problems can affect many types of  boxes. You are can try repositioning your Youview box , forwards , backwards , higher, lower in relation to your Tv . (I think some TVs have the interference  at front whereas some it might be the back .. so a bit of trial and error).you can also check your tv settings to determine whether improvements occur when enabling or disabling certain features  or you can use the covering paper or other material on the Youview box so that weaker signals from the Ir interference don'T get through but the stronger remote control signals do.

0 Ratings
Stevetuc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 26

It's a design fault and shouldn't be excused because there are other instances. Huawei had the same problem and updated the box design. My Appletv and PS3 also work perfectly. It's poor design to release a box that cannot deal with neighbouring equipment and the consumer should not have to stick paper over the box or move it away from the telly. We pay good money for the service and it should be fixed.
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 26

you could apply that poor design argument to the manuacturer of your television .. after all that is the source of the IR interference

0 Ratings
Stevetuc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 26

In the early days of digital stbs the picture would breakup when a lawnmower was used next door or the fridge door opened. No doubt Support Gurus in those days suggested the fridge or lawnmower should be redesigned!!  Instead later models were designed with impulse protection in the demodulators. Dealing with IR is a much simpler issue. As I've mentioned , my Apple TV and PS3 have no problems with my Plasma TV , and more tellingly, nether do competitor Youview boxes from TalkTalk (although they used to..)

Plasma TVs have been on the market for years before these Youview boxes was released. All equipment produces emissions -the home is awash with these from microwave ovens LEDs lights and more. The STB should be designed to cope with these, and most especially those from TV sets its supposed to work alongside. The very fact that it's suggested to use some of the packaging material to cover the sensor shows what an easy fix it is..why don't the design team cut a small piece  out of the packaging and place it inside the front panel covering the sensor..Hopefully I've helped them here with this design tip.

TalkTalk had a similar problem with Plasme TVs 3 years ago. They also suggested placing paper over the DN370T or moving at least 3 meters away from TV! Finally they introduced the DN372T which works perfectly with the same Plasma I am using now.

In fact I have just swapped back to using it. This indicates should be done to remedy the issue- it's a hardware issue. 

So Its disappointing that BT are attempting to shug away this support problem and blaming other equipment , when they should be apologising for the poor performance and working on a resolution. I shall be lodging a formal complaint and suggest all other affected users do too.

robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 26

Well said @Stevetuc. You sum it up well. That's the only sensible thing I've read on this thread. BT (and their ever so loyal fan base) need to recognise their product is light years behind the rest. I've had the same tv for 8 years and the BT box is the only one I've had trouble with (and believe me I've had loads of devices down through the years). It's such a blindingly obvious design flaw but no-one cares to address it.

PS that post suggesting maybe your tv was to blame, wow, I nearly wet myself laughing at that. Some people just can't accept that BT have blundered with this one.