cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 8

YouView Ultra HD - what cabling will engineer be prepared to fit?

I'm looking to get an Ultra HD Youview box & whilst I have a good BB speed - up to 70mbps, my Homehub is connected via powerline adaptors as it's diagonally across the room from where the TV is.

The only practical way of cabling from Home hub to the you View box would be to run the cable outside the house - about a 20 metre run. Would the BT engineer be prepared to fit this or would I need to fit it myself?

If I need to do it myself, what sort of cable is required; BT seem to suggest their's is of a particular high quality??

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: YouView Ultra HD - what cabling will engineer be prepared to fit?

Engineer should carry all the necessary to run external cable for you and fit network boxes at either end. Then patch lead at either end to connect ultra HD box and hub 5.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

From the BT web site:-

Engineer installation

If your Home Hub is in a different room from your TV you can opt for an engineer to do the installation. This is an additional £44.

• The engineer will install an Ethernet (network) cable from your BT Home Hub to your set top box.
  • The cable will be surface mounted (on skirting boards) and they may need to drill holes.
  • The engineer will provide you with all cabling options available before starting any work.

The engineer is unable to run any cables outside your home above ground floor level (using ladders) or access your loft.

I rather suspect that the installer would prefer to run the cable round the skirting boards and over any door frames.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Thanks; thought I'd seen that somewhere before;)

I guess the only option is to place an order and see what happens; suppose it depends on how obliging the particular engineer who visits is 😉

You would think it would be to BT's advantage to be more flexible; there must be lots of customers who don't have their hubs even in the same room.

I certainly don't want to remove fitted wall unit & then have cabling along two walls and above a set of patio doors!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Good luck with your order, mine failed 4 times so be wary. If I were you I'd keep an eye online that your order is progressing properly. With UHD the enigneer visit is mandatory (I didn't get a choice) but he installed nothing when he got here, just plugged it into the TV aerial, connected to my HH5, scanned for Freeview channels and then shot off. No additional cabling was installed despite my HH5 being in a differernt room and connected via poweline adaptors. They say UHD won't work with Powerlines - oh yes it does. I have no problem with mine and UHD channel is spot on along with all other channels.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Interesting, does seem it depends on who turns up! However, there is (supposed to be) a self install option so if I decide to go for it, I might see if it works with powerline adaptors & if not buy an external quality 20m cat 5 cable and do it myself.

Just wondering if I'll notice that much difference between HD and 4k on a 48" screen?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I certainly can tell the difference between HD and UHD on Channel 434 (BT Sports UltraHD) even though I don't actually have a UHD/4K TV, just a normal Full HD 1080p TV. Sound is better too (I have it connnected to a digital home cinema system). My Powerlines are the TP-Link TL-PA511KIT running at 500mb (with 1GB Ethernet ports) so more than fast enough for UHD. I'd also use a Cat 6e cable rather than old Cat 5e just to have teh best quality. Even if your powerlines don't give you enough speed just run the Ethernet cable across your room to get it working and maybe look to invest in other powerlines. All I can say is mine work perfectly - don't believe everything BT say Smiley Wink 

I know BT say don't use powerlines as they don't want people to raise complaints or faults if UHD doesn't work or buffers but they should really give us public the warning that the speed could be affected if using powerlines. Hope you go for the order and let us know how you get on

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Re-reading Ectophile's earlier post it seems as though the BT engineer can fit cabling externally as long as at ground level?

I may see what BT say about this, if not might go for self-install & see how it works with powerline adapters first.

I guess even if I have to fit my own Cat5/6 cabling, in the meantime I could still watch the BT & Sky sports channels in HD (since getting a new larger UHD TV I can really notice how bad the sky sports channels are in SD on the Vision box whereas the BT sport channels in HD are very good).

0 Ratings