Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MountainMan101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 35

YouView box arrived today

Not allowed to plug it in yet as my wife has hours of recordings on the old one to watch first. Very frustrated looking at in on the floor. Quite pleased with the price, missed out on getting out of the last free box and yours to keep after 12 months. Recontracted on my new £4 rate and paid just £49. This time I will be able to keep it for no monthly cost after the 12 months and the freeview element will still work. Being able to finally watch free view HD will be good - the old vision box degraded the pass through signal just enough to make HD flicker occasionally.
0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: YouView box arrived today

Great to hear the box has arrived MountainMan101. Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
MountainMan101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 35

Finally plugged it in now she's caught up with Parade's End. Just booting and installing updates.

I'm quite surprised at the number of people complaining about prices and BT on this forum. My box arrived in about 2 days and cost me 49 no postage costs on top of that and I only had to extend my £4 / month BT vision contract for by 1 month ( 2nd contract after 1 year at 12.50). I don't have infinity but do live near a rural exchange and I get 7 mb on my b/b. 🙂
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 35

@MountainMan101 wrote:
Finally plugged it in now she's caught up with Parade's End. Just booting and installing updates.

I'm quite surprised at the number of people complaining about prices and BT on this forum. My box arrived in about 2 days and cost me 49 no postage costs on top of that and I only had to extend my £4 / month BT vision contract for by 1 month ( 2nd contract after 1 year at 12.50). I don't have infinity but do live near a rural exchange and I get 7 mb on my b/b. 🙂

Glad you got it and connected up

The reason people are complaing is because users currently in their minimum contract period have been told they can't have it until their contract ends or pay £300 for the box - and users who have even less than 2 weeks left on their contract can't get it for the discounted price but have to wait. There was also a big email that went out telling customers they could order from tomorrow to be one of the first to get it before everyone else, but users have already been able to order and receive them.

It would be nice to post a review on here on how you get on and how easy it was to setup as the reviews out their are all based on a controlled environment and not from a user's point of view

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 35

@walkerx wrote:

@MountainMan101 wrote:

The reason people are complaing is because users currently in their minimum contract period have been told they can't have it until their contract ends or pay £300 for the box - and users who have even less than 2 weeks left on their contract can't get it for the discounted price but have to wait. There was also a big email that went out telling customers they could order from tomorrow to be one of the first to get it before everyone else, but users have already been able to order and receive them.

I still don't get the problem. If you are in contract, why would you expect to get the box at the £49 price as the price is based on a new contract. I don't understand the logic of people who think they should get the box at that price if they are in contract. It makes no sense. BT are a business and you have a contract.

People can buy the box from tomorrow. That is their official launch date. If they let people get it early, so what?  What harm is that doing? I saw people were ordering early, so I rang as well and got mine last week. What is the problem?

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 35

@drhowells wrote:

@walkerx wrote:

@MountainMan101 wrote:

I still don't get the problem. If you are in contract, why would you expect to get the box at the £49 price as the price is based on a new contract. I don't understand the logic of people who think they should get the box at that price if they are in contract. It makes no sense. BT are a business and you have a contract.

People can buy the box from tomorrow. That is their official launch date. If they let people get it early, so what?  What harm is that doing? I saw people were ordering early, so I rang as well and got mine last week. What is the problem?

If you read my post you will see I've answerd what the OP questioned of why people where complaining about the prices.

I'm not saying people should get the box at the same price because they are in contract, but I can't see why BT won't allow users to order it for a discounted price even if still under a current contract, but extend the contract - they done this with the upgrades to the higher speeds - they also do this if you change your package.

I've already paid all my charges to the end of my contract in January, yet I still can't order it for the £49, even though BT are now taking payments for me for my bill Jan-Apr 2013. 

A lot of mobile phone companies will allow you to upgrade your package upto 3 months before your current contract runs out, I can't see why BT can't do a similar thing for their customers (say if only have a month left).

The current black box never becomes the property of the end-user as it will always belong to BT even when your current contract ends. This is because once you cancel the box is off no use and is just a paperweight, at least with Sky when you cancel you can still watch the free channels but not record, yet with the Vision box you can't do this.

In regards to being able to buy it from tomorrow, they should have stuck by this and not allowed people to order from the beginning of October, as it causes rants when other customers who have the email, see this happening then try to order and get told they can't order. Overall the initial email and information from BT was misleading to a lot of customers and they used the small-print (like most companies) to put in the exclusions for the offer.

So if anything the reason why people are complaining is simply down to how BT have gone about advertising the product to the current customers when they should have been more clearer.

0 Ratings
MountainMan101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 35

Either it's bad luck or the Youview box is poor at getting a signal. The old box and my TV get BBC one MUX , the TV still does, but the you view box won't get any of those channels. I've found a report of poor signal for this week but I don't see why this should be the case if the TV is still getting the signal. I've rescanned twice. Have to wait for a recording to finish then I'll try again.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 35

Hm,

And there was me thinking this thread was about a user's delight in getting a new YouView box. Not a complaints thread. Though some on here are trying hard to cross-post (again) to make it so. And take the thread off-topic, too.

Lets just keep this thread on-topic, eh.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 35

@masona2 wrote:

Hm,

And there was me thinking this thread was about a user's delight in getting a new YouView box. Not a complaints thread. Though some on here are trying hard to cross-post (again) to make it so. And take the thread off-topic, too.

Lets just keep this thread on-topic, eh.

Hope not a dig at me as I've all I've done is answered both posts based on what the original posts raised

You will also see I did say to the OP to post a review on here based on a user review not a controlled review 

0 Ratings
MountainMan101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 35

Fifth time lucky and with a bit of wiggling the aerial cable (high quality, so it must be the humax connector that is dodgy 🙂 ). Now happily watching top of the pops 1977 on BBC 4
0 Ratings