Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 35

Re: YouView box arrived today

@MountainMan101 wrote:
Fifth time lucky and with a bit of wiggling the aerial cable (high quality, so it must be the humax connector that is dodgy 🙂 ). Now happily watching top of the pops 1977 on BBC 4

is it wiggly in the connector on the back of the box?

i know some aerials have smaller connectors than others so can cause them not to sit properly

you could try bit of card just to pad it out a bit and keep the connector in place

0 Ratings
MountainMan101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 35

Unbiased review so far:

Navigation slower and more confusing as there are more pictures and the layout moves between horizontal and vertical on the BT vision plugin. Scroll up, then across, then down to get a movie.

BBC iPlayer now gives HD but is not as easy to navigate as the old BT version, but better than the plugin for my Samsung TV.

Recording HD channels is the best gain.
0 Ratings
MountainMan101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 35

I think the problem might be the cable actually, it might have weakened from being in a fixed position for a year. I gave the connector a gentle squeeze to improve the conne tion on the centre pin but that didn't help. Rotating the end seemed to help. I'm just surprised that the cable would have problems it's a decent quality cable and connector. Perhaps when I put a new chimney pot on next year I'll try and get the aerial a bit higher. The transmitter is very far away as the valley side blocks the nearer transmitter.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 35

My experience of Humax boxes is that the tuners are good at picking up signals maybe too good in this case.

A glance at the Youview support forum suggests they have issues when the box receives signals from  more than one transmitter.

The topic my box keeps dropping channels for example.

Out of interest  how is Youview support handled. Are BT box people expected to go through on the normal BT Vision nos  & is there a trained Bt support team for the product or is it hanndled by Youview or Humax support ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 35

One thing i've noticed with Humax freesat boxes is that the navigation is slow compared to other freesat boxes - not sure why this is unless it something to do with infra-red signal. So it could be similar on the youview box, but without another model to compare it with we won't know.

BBC iPlayer in HD is nice - I use it on my C-200 as both freesat and bt vision (classic) don't supply HD versions. Not sure how it is on the Youview but on the C-200 you just select the HD broadcast. Also what I found is that the different versions of the apps have different shows available to watch, different layouts and different quality of video.

I hope I never loose my aerial - have had six devices running of it without any issues - picture quality is superb 

0 Ratings
MountainMan101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 35

Support for the box is Humax. When it arrives the only thing from BT is a small leaflet inside - it's in the humax retail packaging. Presumably BT content is supported by BT help desk. Humax have a daytime 0844 number in the manual.
flags
Contributor
Message 17 of 35

2 days with my own YouView box and here's my initial thoughts.

It's good. It's really good. It's attractively designed, it looks expensive & i'm surprised it's only £49 upfront. It installed fine, the software updated itself with no problems at all. I'm still a bit hesistant with the menus, they're a bit more 'sophisticated' than those i'm used to. They're really fast to navigate. My recordings have worked out fine. The BT Vision on demand content works as well as it did on our black vision box (although the on demand menus look radically different to those before). But for us it's the way you can watch previous days freeview content which is the game changer ... It works very well indeed. It changes the way you think about tv, the tv guide , how and when you watch your favourite shows.

Once some sports content is tagged on, with maybe even a few sky channels, or netflix, lovefilm etc ... I honestly think YouView will be a tremendous success.

BT are only letting themselves down with their awful ordering systems ... That seriously needs sorted, the orders placed/cancelled/placed again/cancelled again nonsense needs resolved jolly quick.

We're on ordinary broadband, rural scotland approx 1.5 miles from the exchange, typically 5-7 meg download speed in the evenings.
0 Ratings
rebnats
Contributor
Message 18 of 35

That is good to hear Flags. More user reviews for youview good or bad is required. Glad you are enjoying your experience. Have to agree with you on BT ordering shambles I am still waiting from activation date of 6th Oct for my order, keeping my fingers crossed for the 23rd.
0 Ratings
Rooly
Message 19 of 35

Bts ordering system is diabolical. Ordered youview on the 4th for delivery on 9th never turned up so I reordered it one week later I received the box and its a faulty one so now I've got to wait for an engineer to come out which won't be for another week. It's a joke!!
0 Ratings
rebnats
Contributor
Message 20 of 35

Not a good start. Would they not send a replacement for faulty box. Or is it any set up wiring problems. Etc. To be kept in waiting for engineer for a fauty box is over the top. If you purchased through retailer or under distance selling regs etc you would have exchanged equipment. Then again you would have had to pay full retail price up front.
0 Ratings