Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB
Expert
Message 11 of 34

Re: YouView box via Ethernet switch

Go to solution

I've had another thought. This is nothing to do with multicasting since, I assume, the YouView box connects as an IP device and will only muticast if you watch an internet channel. So for example on initial switch on it will default to channel 1, off the aerial, without any need to muticast. So the issues of IGMP snooping etc don't arise on initial handshake.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 34

Go to solution

As far as I am aware, the YouView box will always request a multicast stream, no matter what channel you are watching or recording.

0 Ratings
infaddict
Beginner
Message 13 of 34

Go to solution

Results of last nights testing:

1) Using a multitude of cables (old and brand new) did not fix the issue

2) Connected just the YouView box to the switch (no other devices) and still didn't work (no flashing lights)

I've just ordered a Netgear managed 5 port switch which will arrive tomorrow and I will see if that fixes the problem (i.e. will IGMP snooping help at all).  If not I can return it and get my money back.

I'll post back here tomorrow with the results - thanks!

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 34

Go to solution

Just thought I'd throw in my configuration using unmanaged switches.

I have as Asus router to an 8-port TP-Link unmanaged gigabit switch then 2 ethernet cables to front & back lounges both with 4-port switches gigabit switches - again TP-Link.

Into these are connected my Youview boxes which both run catchup & internet TV channels without issue.

So it should be able to work OK.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 34

Go to solution

It could be the design of the Netgear switch not sending multicast to all ports. Simple Ethernet switches route traffic depending on their MAC address, so that only traffic which is destined for that MAC address will be routed.

It keeps a record of these connections as soon at is powered up.

Multicast is intended for all devices connected to the switch, and the unmanaged Netgear switch may not have the firmware to do that, whereas the TP-Link will forward multicast to all ports.

Which is probably why Netgear sell two types of switch.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 34

Go to solution

Both my Netgear switches which worked are cheap unmanaged ones.

The OP does not say if they tried a different port on the switch?

0 Ratings
infaddict
Beginner
Message 17 of 34

Go to solution

Hi, yes a direct ethernet connection works fine (without the switch).  This is how I've been running the YouView box for many months.  Put the switch in between and it doesn't work.  I'm 99% sure I tried a multitude of ports but will try again and post the results, along with whether the managed switch made any difference.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 34

Go to solution
Another thought is that using iPlayer or the other catch up services does not use the multicast protocol so if they don't work either then that punts that theory off the park.
0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 19 of 34

Go to solution

My Netgear unmanaged switch works fine! I think this is nothing to do with multicasting. After all a Humax YouView box (same as BT but not branded) should work because it won't have any multicast channels. It something to do with the particular switch being used so replacing it may work but don't be fooled into thinking that it is due to the replacement being a managed switch!

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 34

Go to solution

Looking at the switch specifications.

The GS308 has 802.1p QoS for traffic/frame prioritization (Layer 2) so its smarter than the GS208, which does not have that feature, which is why the GS308 works.

0 Ratings