cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 15

YouView for only one year

If I take a YouView box (£49) + Essentials (12x£5) for one year  and then stop the Essentials - will the YouView box still work?  My silver BT Vision box works only if connected to BT but is coming to the end of its support by BT. I don't do anything other than watch TV, record and occasionally use BBC IPlayer. I'm on Infinity.

It sounds mean but could I have a YouView box for £109 - which would cost me twice that from John Lewis?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: YouView for only one year

I signed up for the box on the same basis. I'm not interested in BT Vision player ATM, but I intend to upgrade to the extra channels package when available in a few weeks. So that's £7/month BT will get from me, on top of broadband and line rental.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 15

And does that mean I could use it as a PVR  straight off without a BT connection? (leaving my silver Vision box on line as it works well, for the moment?)  Alternatively, I might just buy a non BT YouView box even at twice the overall cost.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

@gspearson wrote:

If I take a YouView box (£49) + Essentials (12x£5) for one year  and then stop the Essentials - will the YouView box still work?  My silver BT Vision box works only if connected to BT but is coming to the end of its support by BT. I don't do anything other than watch TV, record and occasionally use BBC IPlayer. I'm on Infinity.

It sounds mean but could I have a YouView box for £109 - which would cost me twice that from John Lewis?

It does indeed.  However, if you stop subscribing I think catch up usage counts towards your bandwidth allowance

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

@notoriousdbp wrote:

@gspearson wrote:

It does indeed.  However, if you stop subscribing I think catch up usage counts towards your bandwidth allowance

I took a YouView box (£49) + Essentials for one year (free by monthly credit of £5). I have just requested termination of the Essentials package now my 12 month free period is about to expire and I don't use BT TV (Vision?). BT tell me that I can keep the box for free but that without Essentials I will no longer be able to access BBC iPlayer from the Youview box. I realise that any iPlayer usage will count towards my bandwidth allowance but I assumed I would still be able to select programs via iPlayer using the YouView EPG. Is this not so? I can use the £5 I save by not having Essentials to upgrade my current Infinity contract to unlimited so the usage would not be a problem. But not so good if I can't access iPlayer from the Youview box! Having said that I've bought one of the £10 Sky Now boxes which gives me great iPlayer access via another HDMI input but just not as covenient as usiing it from the YouView EPG.

Actually my current 40Gb usage limit is currently set to unlimited by BT apparently because of a problem with the usage monitor that affects some customers (and has done so for many months). I wonder if this is because they are unable to stop iPlayer traffic from counting toward my allowance! If this is the case and it is likely to continue to be so then I would actually be better keeping Essentials as it ensures I get iPlayer AND gives me unlimited usage... 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

The person you talked to at BT was talking rubbish. All features of the YouView box will work 100%, including iPlayer, after you cancel. The only things to think about are you lose access to the BT Vision content and the on demand counts towards your broadband limit.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

BTW: Below is the message I get when I try to access the usage monitor. Does anyone know what the problem is?

The usage monitor is currently not available for a small number of customers. We understand how important it is to monitor usage, and as you're not able to view the usage monitor we will not charge you for going over your usage limit this month. You don't need to do anything, we'll take care of that.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

it been like that for the last 6 months that I know off
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

@drhowells wrote:

The person you talked to at BT was talking rubbish. All features of the YouView box will work 100%, including iPlayer, after you cancel. The only things to think about are you lose access to the BT Vision content and the on demand counts towards your broadband limit.

... and you can't watch/record the free multicast BT Sport channels via Infinity on a box with no active BT TV subscription?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

... and you will lnot be able to play back recordings you have made from the  BT EXtra or Sports chanels when you cease your subscription

0 Ratings