Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 17

Youview New Customer Pricing Logic

From what Im reading in the forum there are conflicting views on the

Youview pricing.

I do understand that a new customer offer of £49 is good business.

But I cant get my head around this £299 figure for BT Vision users

still in contract could someone explain, does loyality stand for nothing these days.

Or is it just too much work to change an exsisting BT Vision contract to Youview.

Sorry If this has already been answered on the forum

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Youview New Customer Pricing Logic

Hi bazz.

And yes it's been raised before. By me actually.

And the truth is - loyality does stand for nothing these days. And their all the same.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 17

Hi bazz02,

Thanks for posting. You’ll get the pricing details at www.youview.bt.com. Stephanie has also posted the details in the sticky at the top of this board.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

David,

Thx for the reply.I have already read the sticky I just dont understand it.

£299 for a loyal customer just because they are still in a BT Vision contract.

£49 for a new user who hasnt previously spent a penny with BT.

Still would like it explained.

Cheers Barry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

@DavidM wrote:
Hi bazz02,

Thanks for posting. You’ll get the pricing details at www.youview.bt.com. Stephanie has also posted the details in the sticky at the top of this board.

Cheers

David

Is it possible to get that page updated as there are two things currently incorrect on it

Can I buy a YouView box from BT?

BT is launching our own YouView box offer on the 26th October. But you can order a YouView box with BT Vision the week before we launch by pre-registering your details on the form above.

Consumers are already ordering this and received them so could update the page to say you can order now from calling BT.

How much will a YouView box from BT cost?

Great news! The YouView box (£6.95 delivery) from BT is included for new customers who take 12 month subscriptions to BT Vision Essential or BT Vision Unlimited package and either BT Infinity or BT Broadband. You'll just need to pay a £49 activation fee which includes optional 'powerline adaptors' to make it easy to set the box up yourself, but if you want one of our Engineers to set it up for you, this will cost an additional £35 (but with no delivery fee).

Existing BT Vision customers who are out of contract can get a YouView box for the same price - £49 for the box (£6.95 delivery but no activation charge) - by renewing their BT Vision and their BT Infinity or BT Broadband contract. Customers still in a BT Vision contract can get a YouView box for £299.

BT is proud to offer our customers the Humax DTR-T1000 YouView box, worth £299 from retailers, which has received excellent reviews over the last couple of months.

The DTR-T1000 is only £279 from retailers now, it was put down to £249 (only one place I know still selling it for that price) a few weeks ago, but is now back up to £279 which is still cheaper than the offer from BT

@bazz02,

You may be better of waiting till your current contract runs out to see what is on offer from BT, I agree that they way BT have gone about this has not been brilliant, but you will get this with all companies who want new customers and will make them attractive offers to make them switch.

As for the current customer base some providers will make offers once out of contract, some allow you to switch/upgrade a month or 3 month before the current contract is complete, just to keep your custom. But this is the way things happen.

In a way I'm glad my Vision service ends in January so I can then decide whether to cancel it fully or move to BT Youview or stick with just the Xbox, but it all depends on what offers are available and what will I receive for another 12 months worth of payments.

Overall for people who only have the essential package from BT, the current Youview deal is well worth the money if out of contract (ie £49 box, £7 delivery, £48 for year = £104 for a box more than twice the price) - for someone like me who has the ESPN card and pays for the full BT Vision service or someone who has the Sky Sports packages then the current deals would not be suitable for them and would advise to wait and see what happens.

BT have stated they are moving towards BT Youview fully in 2013 so you may end up getting a free Youview box when/if they phase out the current black boxes.

Youview is still in it's infancy at the moment and there are still a lot of issues that need to be resolved, but hopefully come early next year these will all be resolved and the product will be worth getting especially as it will be up against the new Freesat Freetime products they are being released shortly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 17

Yes, people can buy the box now, but I got the impression their systems still weren't completely setup for selling the box and they probably still have staff training to do. They will continue to work towards these official dates.

The RRP for the box is £299. They are not going to change the price every week.

As for the pricing....every company does this. If you want to upgrade, you will pay more than a new customer. This is how they get business. Not saying it is right, but ALL, not just TV company's, do this.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

I agree, does Seem like they don't care too much for loyalty.

a simple way round would be to offer existing customers in contract a slightly higher price. Say £69 and £49 for others out of contract , but will they ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 17

Thx Guys.

My bank after 30 years of loyality didnt support me either.

Ahh Well thats Showbusiness.

Ill put Youview on hold.

Cheers Barry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Hi all. Just my two Pennies worth. BT are no different then any other company in that new customers will always have the better deal. You just need to look at mobile phones, if your in contract that new phone will cost the earth comparing new customer or a customer out of contract. Those prepared to hold off for a while well get the best pick, my contract ends in February, hopefully things will be implemented by then and all running smoothly, fingers crossed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

I was in contact (£4 / month) and I only paid £49.

I think there is a difference between customers in contract for the 1st year (where they are recouping costs of the vision box) and customers who have renewed contract - renewed mine at £4 because the other option was £12.50 ad hoc or cancel altogether - you can't change down to £4/month without a new contract. But as I said, the next month I paid only £49 for the YouView box and extended my contract by 1 month.

0 Ratings