cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 14

Youview and customers in contract

This is mainly for the mods, but for users in the last few months or month of their current vision contract.

With some mobile companies they allow you to upgrade your package or terminate the contract early but pay the remainder of the package fees.

We know some have already been refused the reduced youview offer based on that they are still within the minimum term, even though the may only have a week or a month left.

Why not give these users the choice of terminating their current contract and pay the remaining fees immediately and then allow them to order youview at the reduced price and resubscribe for the next 12 months.

ie my contract is fully paid up for vision so in theory bt should allow me if i wished to upgrade at the reduced cost of the box - that means it would have cost me £49 + £7 + £37.50 (3 months) = £93.50 + 12 x £5 essentials = £153.50 so it's still at a reduced cost but BT still get the full fees for the initial contract + the new contract

if someone has only a week left, then I can't see why they can't order now as by the time the delivery is received their contract will be ended and as they have already paid I can't see anyone including BT losing out, but this could help BT in the long run as it will prevent customers jumping ship and moving to someone else.

If BT done this then the contracts would be renewed at the date of order (similar to how a lot of mobile phone companies work) or as soon as it's noted they have plugged the equipment in.

And this is not a complaint post or should be treated as one, but is something for BT and customers to have a think about if users are wanting to upgrade now.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Youview and customers in contract

BT seem to be struggling with the orders as they stand and you're asking to complicate matters further. I suggest a little patience; good things come to those who wait!

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 3 of 14

Well the "not if you are still in a broadband contract" requirement for the Youview offer has made my decision for me. With 10 months still to go on my Infinity contract, I won't be considering Youview (or BT Vision) until this time next year.

It's a pity as the Youview catch-up TV functionality is tempting but the box simply isn't value for money at £299 or thereabouts. There are issues with recording Freeview channels too (no padding or manual recording options).

Of course, if BT decide to extend the deal to customers such as me at some point, I will reconsider but the thing just isn't worth the current retail price, not yet anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

WEll the actual wording on my invite (preregisted)  says

If you’ve had your BT Vision+ box™ for 12 months or more, you can upgrade to a YouView from BT box for only £49 when you recontract your broadband and TV subscriptions. Plus delivery charge.

in the smallprint it says

To get a YouView box from BT for £49, you’ll need to be out of your original minimum term.

Given the experience of others who have ordered via phone and reported on this forum  - does it not suggest that the "original" minimum term applies to when you first took out BT vision and not to subsequent extension contracts.

0 Ratings
dikul
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

That's all very well but BT are not playing it that way.  My contracts for Broadband and Vision are up on 28 October; neither are original terms of contract - Vision now in its third year and Broadband since gawd knows when, YET I have had 3 orders cancelled and even this afternoon, having received yet another early bird ordering promotion from BT, I cannot place an order until 29 October.  When I asked if I would be able to get the box for £49 then, together with the offer of Option 3 @ £13.25 I was told that I would probably miss out on any of the offers this week.  

Thanks BT for rewarding my 36 years as a customer!

Mike

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

this thread was customers who are currently in the minimum contract period who may want to buy themselves out of it and upgrade at the reduced price so they still get it cheaper than currently buying it at full price - even with 11 months left on your contract and paying £12.50 a month it still works out cheaper than buying a new unit.

0 Ratings
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

I'm not sure we should all be getting so excited about being the first to have a BT Youview box.

It seems to me, from reading messages on this forum, that there are still plenty of issues to still sort out before it can be called a trouble-free service.

Also, give it a few weeks/months and I'm sure better deals will be on offer to existing BT Vision customers, who are either still in contract and out of contract.

Unless you are desperate to have HD viewing, I'm not sure at this stage that the move from Vision to Youview is so urgent...particularly if your current Vision box is working well and has no problems, as mine is.

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

I comepletely agree with jbancroft1...having had the YouView box from BT for over a week now, I would rate the 'user experience' of the BTVision box as much better.  The YouView box has some fantastic functionality, and its a great device, but I think it needs a few software releases before its really worth jumping to.  I am actually thinking about asking to move back to the Vision box TBH...

cheers 

0 Ratings
MEM
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Just ordered my Youview box for £49 + postage and there was nothing anywhere on the email inviting my order about extending my Infinity package. They only mention the 12 month contract for the Vision service. I even get the powerline plugs thrown in for free. I have never had a BTVision account before so that may be why, but strange that they want to tie you in like that Zulu.

0 Ratings
Shunter
Message 10 of 14

Re: You've and customers in contract

DON'T BOTHER!!! ITS RUBBISH. ONCE YOU'VE GOT IT, BT WANT FULL TERM PAYMENT TO CANCEL. IT DOESN'T DO WHAT THEY ADVERTISE & YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE MILL TRYING TO "LET THEM FIX THE PROBLEM" SOON AS I'VE GOT ENOUGH MONEY, I'M CANCELLING. ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BT & **bleep** TURPIN IS ONE OF THESE BANDITS WORE A MASK!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

0 Ratings