Message 1 of 32

Youview announcement on Next Generation user experience

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: Youview announcement on Next Generation user experience

Any truth in the rumour that an upgraded UHD/4K YouView Box will also be launched at the same time ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 32

Where did that rumour come from, what would you expect an upgraded box to have that the present one doesn't?

i only ask because most of the recent 'coming soon' items have been heavily advertised - Boxnation, Next Gen Software, new app etc, not seen anything about new hardware so that would have been a well kept secret.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 32

functionality to spec & reliability .......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 32

Talk Talk customers to begin getting this next week http://www.a516digital.com/2016/11/talktalk-youview-upgrade-announced.html

Just wondering if TT are referring to BT customers with this statement:

In its announcement, TalkTalk says that "unlike some other providers, anyone upgrading to the improved service will be able to keep recordings, as well as movies and TV shows that have been purchased."

Maybe I'm just reading too much into that statement?!? There's certainly no mention of it here https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/bt-reveals-next-generation-youview-and-free-tv-app-11364112169175

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 32

Don't know about a new box @speedtrip and @scointer but the link above mentions Dolby Atmos capabilities.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 32

Dolby Atmos is basically just 7.1 surround sound and as such is already covered by the Dolby Digital + spec, therefore any of the YouView boxes are already capable of putting out a Atmos soundtrack. The only thing it might do is add additional bandwidth requirements to transmit the additional sound channels therefore it is not used yet as 99% of the people wouldn't get any benefit from it.

BT are using the 4K channel as a test bed to show what is possible as a premium service and have therefore chosen to test it out on there. I applaud the forward thinking but it is a very niche product and as such wouldn't be undertaken if it required new hardware to support it (over and above what you choose to purchase in your home for your own benefit).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 32

Did anybody else notice the paragraph

"The Next-Gen release will also enable YouView to better understand how viewers use their set top boxes. Insight as to how consumers discover and choose content, combined with traditional viewing data, gives YouView the ability to refine, enhance and personalise the user experience in the near future."

from the YouView announcement?

They've obviously been learning from Microsoft - your box will monitor everything you do with it and send that information to YouView.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 32

I almost take that for granted these days, Netflix has monitored your viewing to make suggestions for as long as I can remember, everything you access these days does it. I actually quite like it but I can see how it would irritate people as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 32

Good article here http://www.seenit.co.uk/youview-the-next-generation-whats-in-store-for-the-uks-smart-tv-platform/ which includes assurances over the 'lost recordings' scenario I picked up on above.

0 Ratings