Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickjames
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Youview box,extra channels and powerline connections

Go to solution

Hello everyone, I am new here so bear with me.

I had already Infinity no limits and showing 76 mg or so most of the time. I have just added tv to my setup together with the extra channels package. Everything worked fine except any of the extra channels with a message telling me my broadband is not connected, or something like that, at the same time I am able to use on demand with no problems.

So, onto BT help and I am asked if I am using powerline adapters, yes I said it shows in the user manual you can do this, no he said but if you pay us £35 an engineer will come and hard wire fron router ( Hub5 ) to your youview box, after some sentences back and forward he agreed to send the engineer free to check the problem. OK so far. except shortly after the channels came to life and worked without problem-----for a while  and then started to break up and vanish.

Sometimes it will work no problem, sometimes its a nightmare. And yes I did wait the 24 hours to allow connection of the new service.

If I need Ethernet from router to box this should be made clear on signing up and so I can decide what I want, but I had already read the manual on line and powerlines looked fine. Advice please as somebody must have experienced this also or am I missing something.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
jparnell82
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Youview box,extra channels and powerline connections

Go to solution
Hi,
What speed powerline adapters are you using? Have you tried plugging in a PC/laptop to the powerline connector connected to your Youview box and running a speed test?
I have tried several powerline adapters in my house with very mixed results. It all depends on the quality of your internal wiring. In the end I had my box hardwired.
0 Ratings
mickjames
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for a swift reply, I have a pair of tp link AV500 powerline adapters and my mains wiring is all modern and fairly new, at least in the last 5 to 10 years. on speed testers I get at least 76 m at my pc and with a laptop on wifi around 16 to 20 and with a cable on the powerline almost the same as the pc, the youview box tells me my broadband speed is ok. Do you think I should wait and see if it settles down perhaps waiting for the engineers visit before I pull anymore of my hair out.

How about as a thought do you think they forgot to turn me on when they should have done and hence why it suddenly became live shortly after my phone call to farthest Asia and again maybe it needs to settle.

I will be sure to update this site whatever the outcome as I can see how useful it could be to other people.

As an after thought, the youview box replaces a Freesat box that worked fine, no problems, with the powerlines when using on demand.

Thanks again for your reply.

0 Ratings
jparnell82
Expert
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
Hmmm. Ondemand is different to the extra channels as it buffers a certain amount so is more tolerant to unreliable connections where as the extra channels are multicast and essentially being broadcast live so there is not much room for error.
From the testing you've done it sounds like the connection is good from the powerline adapter but I'm still suspicious. Would it be possible to try the Ethernet cable that came with the YouView box connected straight to the router?
You could give it a few more days but I'm not convinced it will get better with time.
mickjames
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks again, you have given me some things to think about, mainly that I may need to hard wire. I will wait until the engineer has had a look and given his opinion and IF he can make a neat job I might just pay out, then again a trip to the DIY store for some cable and boxes, around the corner to the off licence for extra tools, send the wife out for the day and then brush up on those certain french terms that are always useful when things go wrong, as they will.

I will keep this open as I think others might benefit from my experience and I will be sure to let you know how it ends up.

Speak to you shortly, thanks again.

0 Ratings
cragger89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Get hold of a long ethernet cable and run it temporarily just to see if it improves the situation.

My Youview box arrived yesterday and I've hidden the supplied long cable under a rug for a few days until I am satisfied it is definitely staying long term. 

Once I am sure about it, I will run a length of Cat 5 cable around the lounge, out the wall into the garden and then back in at the other side of the house to keep it all tidy. Theoretically, the powerlines you're using should work perfectly, so ruling out the possiblity of a problematic router or cable somewhere down the line would be worthwhile.

Good luck 🙂

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@mickjames wrote:

... on speed testers I get at least 76 m at my pc and with a laptop on wifi around 16 to 20 and with a cable on the powerline almost the same as the pc,   

You could try viewing the test multicast channel 900 (soon to move to 475) on your PC or laptop.

Install VLC Media Player.

Start it up and select Media>Open Network Stream and enter the URL rtp://234.81.130.4:5802

If the test channel looks fine on your PC and at the same time is breaking up on the Youview box then it implies the feed coming into your house is fine and there is a problem with either the HomeHub port, Powerline Adapters or Youview box. If the picture breaks up on both at the same time then it might be an external multicast problem (or possibly a HomeHub problem).

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Im using Tp Link 200 pass though powerline adaptors with the old style BT Youview box in the living room and they work 99% fine with BT on demand and the 20 extra channels and HD.

I also got an ethernet cable conected to the Home Hub 3 for the Youview retail box in my bedroom and that works 98% fine with everything.

Darren

0 Ratings
mickjames
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hello I'm back

The engineer has been and checked and it seems that powerline connectors are a bit of a grey area and I have been advised to hard wire.

the system is working most of the time but he told me it will drop out now and again as the signal is only just enough, so if it helps anyone that is the position. except that BT clearly show powerline connectors in the user manual and no caution about using them.

Now however my hub (5) is losing wifi on a regular basis, but that is for another section, roll on the end of my contract.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

In the User Guide distributed with my G4 box ... it  states on page 8  "Extra TV channels won't work with Powerline adapters".

However in the latest (march 2014) user guide on the web site that  statement appears no longer to be present.

There is now a statement on Page 48 Extra channels section which says - 

Can I use Powerline adapters with these channels?

To find out what products are compatible with Powerline adapters, go to
bt.com/help/tvpowerlines

That partricular link doesn't seem to list any specific compatible products but currently goes to a TV help page.

0 Ratings