Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Youview box problems

Hi,

Back in march I left Sky and signed up to BT to try and save some Money.

Its fair to say I wish I hadn't bothered with the TV side of things.

I'm on my second Youview box and struggle to get a constant decent reception on most channels, HD being especially bad.

I have no issues with freeview direct on the TV, or through a NOWTV box (not just the streaming one) in our bedroom.

I really want to like using the BT Youview box but I think I'm going to have to cancel and go back to Sky.

Has anyone got any suggestions that may help?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Youview box problems

Tt could be too much signal overloading the YouView box. You could try a 6dB attenuator which you can get from TV shops or online.

Signal overload is quite common if you are near a transmitter, or have an aerial amplifier.

If the signal is too strong, the digital tuners in the YouView box cannot extract the data from the muxes, they are not all the same strength, which is why some channels work, and others do not.

Try a 6dB attenuator in the aerial input to the YouView box.

They are a very simple inline component, with a TV plug and socket, and fit in the lead, where it plugs into the YouView box.

Image1.jpg

You should aim for a signal level of about 70-90% with a signal quality of 100%.

See this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Missing-Freeview-Channels/m-p/1769254#M39534

0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Sounds like that might be a plan, would that solve the constant fluctuating levels of signal strength and quality?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

What you describe is a symptom of signal overload, and has been reported before, so its worth a try for the small cost involved.

Also see https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Thank you Keith I'll give it a try and let you know 🙂
0 Ratings
Martin--W
Retired BT Expert
Message 6 of 18

Hello @nathanevans

I'd be happy to get this checked with one of our freeview experts. If you'd like any help, please Private Message me your home phone number or account number and I'll be in touch.

Kind regards, 

Martin.

0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Thanks Martin, I'll be in touch if I don't get anywhere with the suggested fix 🙂
0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Attenuator arrived yesterday afternoon, didn't seem to make much difference. Have retuned with it on and is now being tested......will see if it actually makes a difference
0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Just as an update the attenuator didn't work. I've contacted the chap here to see about cancelling my TV contract.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Then it is a poor signal issue and you will need to replace your TV aerial and possibly the down lead. It is a requirement to have a good signal, and its on the ordering page.

You can have a new aerial fitted at a discounted rate (£60) provided you arrange it via BT, or it may simply be the way your TV signal is distributed around the house.

I am not sure if BT will allow cancellation under these circumstances.

You would stiil have to pay for the phone and broadband anyway, so my advice would be to get the aerial sorted.

0 Ratings