cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: Youview box problems

I do have a good signal, it's been proven by the fact the TV has no issues when plugged directly. As mentioned before I also have no issues with freeview in another room and through my nowtv box which uses the RF in. Maybe the tuners in the you view box are extra sensitive?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

If the aerial is connected directly to the input of the YouView box, and the aerial out is connected to your TV, then that is the correct arrangement to allow FreeView signals through.

The YouView box is then connected to the TVs HDMI input port, that allows all of the YouView SD, HD, and subscribed channels.

If that is how its connected, then BT may request a visit from one of their BT Vision engineers to confirm that there is nothing wrong with your signal, and you may have been unlucky with the two YouView boxes that were sent.

Do you subscribe to any of the extra channels, and do they work properly?

0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 13 of 18

I do subscribe to some extra channels but I believe they come through the cat6 cable I've got plugged in the back? Although I might have that wrong.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

That is correct, and do they work, can you see them on the HDMI input to your TV?

0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 15 of 18

Yep, they look fine.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

See what the TV experts say, they may request a visit before agreeing to cancel the TV part of your contract.

The YouView box, being a PVR, does need a stronger signal to ensure an error free digital extraction from the muxes before it is transferred to the hard disk. This also means that it will only accept a much narrow range of signal levels than a TV.

A TV can tolerate a lot of decoding errors before it becomes noticable on the picture, the same would apply to Now TV.

0 Ratings
nathanevans
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

That would make sense tbh. I would have thought the you view was a better standard of tuner. It's just so frustrating when you want something to work and tbh I don't want to go back to sky but when the TV is unwatchable for large periods it is difficult to justify.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

I would wait and see what BT suggest, as it would be far better to get it sorted. You need someone with a TV signal strength meter, so the actual signal level from all of the muxes can be measured.

0 Ratings