Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Youview box starting up woes

Go to solution

Hi Folks, I'm rather new to all this forum malarkey and not in the least bit technical but here goes.

I returned from a week away this week to find my BT Youview box won't start up properly, having been left in standby mode and left on at the mains, (I was watching TV the day I left and it was working fine).

Upon my return I used the remote control to turn it on which brought up the 'BT logo/waking up screen' followed by the Youview screen with the 'adjust eco mode' message followed by the 'Nearly ready' screen; at which point it cuts out and does all of the above repeatedly.

I've turned the switch off and on at the back of the box which brings up a red light on the front of the box then a blue light as it restarts but it just does above cycle again.

I've tried the factory reset by pressing the down arrow for several seconds as instructed which then brings up a maintenance message which the box doesn't respond to when I press standby. I've turned it off at the mains and again it cuts out after the nearly ready screen.

I've had the box 9 months since upgrading to Infinity & its always been working ok up to this point. Does anyone know if it's possible to fix this as I would rather not have to put in a call to the BT helpdesk as I know from past experience its a misson to get anything resolved with them!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Youview box starting up woes

Go to solution

KG40 - welcome to the community.

Starting up the maintenance mode can be a bit fiddly  so always best to try the process a couple of times - Not sure which Youview box model you have - the guide to using the maintenance mode is at

http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/How-do-I-perform-a-maintenance-mode-recovery-13...

Given that you have been away - I would be inclined to try the following (seperately)

-   -reboot your router/home hub and try again

-  power off the Youview box , take out your ethernet cable from the Youview box  , power back on and see if it will start up.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi zulu17 and thanks for your input.

I should have said on my original post that I have tried starting up the maintenance mode more than several times but to no avail as nothing happens once the maintenance message appears when pressing the power button,it just cuts out and tries to restart again

It's a Youview box from BT model number T2100.

I've tried rebooting the hub and removing cables but again the box cuts out just after the nearly ready screen.

I'm aware I will regretfully have to contact BT but thought I'd put it out there on the forum and see if there are any solutions to the problem or if others have experienced similar issues

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Apologies for asking what might seem a silly question but if I were to buy a new similar model YouView box (from Argos,Currys or similar establishments) to replace the one I have that has stopped working whether it would work with my current set up? 

I only ask because I have extra channels currently and as I suspect my current box is knackered I thought I could do something about it myself as I'm still awaiting a response from BT 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@KG40 wrote:

Apologies for asking what might seem a silly question but if I were to buy a new similar model YouView box (from Argos,Currys or similar establishments) to replace the one I have that has stopped working whether it would work with my current set up? 

I only ask because I have extra channels currently and as I suspect my current box is knackered I thought I could do something about it myself as I'm still awaiting a response from BT 

I believe so:

See: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/BTTV-using-a-BT-You-View-box-bought-from-Currys/td-p/14962...

but if the box was supplied by BT it should be covered under a 12 month warranty so I don't see why you should have to spend appox. £150 of your own money to replace what may be a faulty box.

Can I suggest that you wait to see what one of the BT TV experts says first. There are a couple on this forum.

Possibly some kind soul with referring privileges can refer you to them or one of the BT Moderators on this forum to assist?

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Many thanks for the link which was an interesting and helpful read.

I had hoped the box might be covered by a warranty as I've only had it 9 months since I upgraded my broadband to Infinity. And whilst obviously loathe to shell out of my own pocket for another box, at least that way I would have one to watch the channels I'm currently paying for whilst BT take their time in getting back to me to discuss the next move

I have little faith that things will be wrapped up quickly as it was a right palaver getting this box initially hence my thinking of purchasing my own box 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Hopefully after the weekend one of the BT TV experts will see this and may be able to assist.

Btw I take it you have already done the power off/on and then holding the large circluar power button on the front of the box for about 8 seconds or so until it hopefully says 'Hello' on the front of the box?

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I would be delighted to hear from anyone at the moment as I have sent messages 4 days running to BT regarding this issue as well as several messages before that but to no avail.

I have tried unplugging it at the wall,turning off the box itself via the switch on the back of the box,taking all cables and wires out but to no avail as the box just says waking up followed by nearly ready before it cuts out and does it all again.

Can't even get into the maintenance screen as nothing happens when the maintenance message appears.

I am of the opinion I need a new box but I may be wrong as I'm not in the least bit technologically minded so there could be a magical way of getting the box to work

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Have you tried a live chat?  Select 'Contact Us' next to the forums tab above.

Then select 'Problem With My Service' then 'Problem with BT TV' then 'Chat With Us Online' spelling out that it is YouView box, the box was working and now it doesn't and you haven't changed anything, you've tried maintenance mode recovery but it doesn't work...etc.. to see if they can get your box replaced - without charge. Only 9 months old etc.

Apologies if you have already been down this route.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Yes I've tried live chat twice but nothing happened,the screen disappeared on both occasions so emailed BT with no joy either before trying social media to which after 4 days of badgering them as to why nothing is happening I was told I'm in an email queue of which I am moving up so just waiting now to be contacted.

I just find the customer service pretty poor to be honest as I also experienced more of the same in trying to order the box and upgrade my broadband originally,unfortunately I only have a choice of 2 providers and by all accounts the other one isn't much better but luckily I have Freeview built into the telly so all is not lost and I can watch things.

Many thanks again for your helpful hints and tips it's much appreciated.

0 Ratings