cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 17

Youview box turns on with no sound

Sometimes my youview box turns on with no sound even though the volume setting is up. I have to turn tv off then on again and it sorts it. Any idea what the issue is ?
Thanks
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: Youview box turns on with no sound

Are your connections securely in the sockets?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Hi there yes I checked that and all in securely
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

Same happens here from time to time.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 17

Hello,

Check HDMI settings, you may need a TOS connection between your box and TV

Do you have an external sound system connected ??

I had the same problem until I swapped the HDMI connection to another port..Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

I have a optical cable from the TV to a sound bar.

I can even loose sound changing channels. Change channel again and sound is back.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

My DTR-T2100 Youview box intermittently gets no audio or picture when coming out of standby.

HDMI cable and port on the TV have been changed to no avail, and also switching off HDMI CEC doesn't help.

Switching the TV (Sony Bravia) into standby and back on again corrects the problem, as does switching to another active HDMI connection (Panasonic DMR-EX75 on here) and back again. Switching the DTR-T2100 into standby and back on again doesn't rectify the problem but a full power off/on usually does (didn't once).

I have tried an Internet/USB Recovery (Recordings Saved) via the Maintenance Menu but again to no avail.

I can only conclude, so far, that the HDMI handshaking between the DTR-T2100 and the Sony Bravia TV is a bit flaky (i.e. slightly differing interpretations of the HDMI standards).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

I have still been having failures since the Internet/USB Recovery of the DTR-T2100.

The Sony Bravia TV has also had a Full Factory Reset. This has been done twice as the first time resulted in the TV being quite unstable. It completely locked up once where the only button on the TV control that would work was the on/off button (standby actually). I had to do a full power off of the TV to rectify this. It seems to be stable since the second Factory Reset.

I have also followed another suggestion i.e. to set the HDMI output of the DTR-T2100 to 1080i. Tempting the 'Kiss of Death', I have to say that I haven't had a blank screen on HDMI 1 since doing this. Here's the suggestion and reasoning (any thoughts on this?😞
"Could be worth trying setting the box to output 1080i instead of 1080p

There's no real reason to have 1080p on this box as it only (currently) receives 1080i broadcasts as far as i know.

Also the 1080p setting is more of an auto mode and on the older box at least sometimes gets it wrong causing loss of handshake and blank screen.

also also.... when you enable/disable CEC on the tv make sure you fully powercycle the tv (at the mains) before trying again"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

Well according to the BBC website

HD Broadcast standards

The BBC's HD channels currently transmit programmes using the 1080/50i standard and 1080/25p depending on how the content is captured. 

The BBC's commitment to the highest possible quality means that as the technology develops we will choose the standard that delivers the best possible pictures.

There are some historic web pages out there about issues with Sony Bravia and BBC HD  eg 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/bbc-begin-broadcasting-in-1080p

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

There are obviously different variants of 1080p e.g. 1080/24p, 1080/50p, 18080/60p.

How do I find out what variant of 1080p the DTR-T2100 is sending at over HDMI and can it be changed?

The TV spec says it's capable of 1080/24p input:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/KDL-32EX403/list

I can't find the specs in the DTR-T2100 manual.

Could this be an issue?

0 Ratings