Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eddie33
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Youview in second room

Hi

Does anybody know the best way to send youview to a second tv?

In the past when we had sky, we had an extension and a tvlink t140 box fitted upstairs and we could watch and change sky channels in the bedroom. We've not changed any of the connections so I tried connecting the tv out from youview the same as sky but no luck.

I've thought about buying an av sender but the guy in maplins said it would need to be the HDMI connecting type which are triple the price (about £150) - I'd be ok with this if I knew it would work, would it need to connect HDMI to the tv at the other end? The distance from the youview box to the upstairs tv is about 20 feet.

Would appreciate any advice

Eddie

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Youview in second room

You could try adding an RF modulator. Plug the scart output into this and tune it in upstairs

eddie33
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi

Thanks for the rf modulator suggestion but please could you explain in Janet and John terms how all the connections between the youview boxdownstairs and the sd tv upstaIrs would work?

At the moment, I have scart output from the youview box going into my lounge tv which just leaves the tv out (ariel) and hdmi out of the youview free.  I have an extension running upstairs which is currently fed from the outside ariel. I've tried connecting the youview tv out to the upstairs extension (tv link) but no luck.

Upstairs my tvlink t140 has an in from downstairs and the out goes into the bedroom tv.

Where would the rf modulator go in all this?

Thanks for any suggestions and apologies for my ignorance.

Eddie

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Does your lounge TV not have an HDMI socket? The aerial out on the YouView doesn't actually carry the YouView picture, it is just for passing through the signal from your aerial. To use a modulator you would connect this into the cable running upstairs, it then takes the SCART output and sends that up the cable. 

A modulator like this would do the job http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Scart-Coax-Video-Modulator/dp/B000M6SMKW

It would still allow you to use SCART to connect to your TV if you don't have HDMI

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Old VCR's have a modulator built in. If you have one lying around you can use that to test the set up before purchasing one of the small newer modulators (or just keep using the VCR as one). You need to check the VCR manual but it will generally let you give it an input signal via SCART and send it as an output signal via an RF OUT. This can then be fed to another room using normal coaxial (TV aerial type) cable. It sounds as though you already have this cable in place.

I have my old VCR set up acting as an RF modulator and it works fine for sending the BT Vision box picture to an upstairs TV. It can't provide the remote control functionality but is better than nothing.

NOTE: The signal a cheap RF modulator or VCR is sending out is in the old analogue PAL format so you need to pick it up via the analogue tuner on the receiving TV. The default UHF channel number is normally 36 but that can be changed. 

0 Ratings
eddie33
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thanks to everyone for the advice. If I also wanted remote control access upstairs, could i use a scart splitter on the output from youview and connect to the lounge tv and to an av sender - with the av receiver upstairs scarted into the bedroom tv?

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks again for any advice.

Eddie

0 Ratings
mattkerry13
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Hi,

Did you manage to get this sorted out.  We are thinking of ditching sky but of course we are currently able to watch sky in all room and control the main box from all rooms and use the stored programs and dont want to loose that as we dont have any other aerial etc?

Thanks

Matt.

0 Ratings
Travelstar
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Why not just buy a second box?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

You need to be aware of a few things if thinking of replacing your current Sky set up.

(1)  The Sky box includes an RF modulator. What this does is allow you to output the Sky content via a normal TV aerial cable. It will also add the normal Freeview signal to this if you have an input TV aerial connected. So you you end up with an RF output which includes all the normal Freeview content plus the Sky content you are currently playing/viewing. The Freeview part will be in digital DVB-T format, and the Sky part will be in analogue PAL format. So on a connected TV (such as in a second room) you can tune in to the Freeview channels using the TV digital tuner and the Sky channel using the TV analogue tuner.

(2)  The Sky box actually has two RF output sockets, so one can be used to connect to your main TV (which might also be connected via SCART or HDMI) and one can feed one or more other TV's. The one connected to the main TV is mainly so that TV still has access to the digital Freeview channels if necessary.

(3)  One of the two RF outputs (RF2) is a powered socket that allows a return communication path. In simple terms this means you can connect the Magic Eye type devices and use them to control the Sky box remotely using the TV cable.

I haven't got the Youview from BT box so can't confirm what it supports. The black BT Vision+ box certainly doesn't contain an RF modulator or support RF2 and Magic Eye and it sounds as though the Youview from BT box is the same.

Make sure you know what any other platform supports before ditching your current set up.

0 Ratings