Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Youview on-demand is buffering and failing

Go to solution

I'm having lots of trouble with my YouView box when trying to watch on-demand with iPlayer etc. If our home broadband is being used for gaming/skype etc I suffer with terrible buffering and usually playback will stop completely.

Some additional information about my setup is

• My BB syncs at 8Mb and usually gives 6.5Mb on broadband speed tests
  • My youview box uses a wired 100Mb link to my router (no homeplugs etc)
  • I do not use a BT home hub, but instead a TP-Link WDR3600 however this is generally rock solid and I don't suspect it is the issue.
  • I still have my old Silver BT Vision box connected as we are working through our old recordings, however this is not being used for on-demand content when I have the problems with my YouView.

My understanding is that the QoS used by BT does not rely on the BT HomeHub and therefore using my own router should not be an issue, but it seems that my QoS does not work correctly. What can I do to try to resolve?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Youview on-demand is buffering and failing

Go to solution
I think you probably know the answer - you are maxing out your limited connection running on demand streaming and Skype streaming concurrently. Although Youview does have a 3Mbps minimum requirement this is in the absence of other applications - you really need more overhead than that to avoid buffering issues. Your other applications are using that overhead.

So really unless you have an option to upgrade your line speed you may have to curtail the second activity to enjoy TV streaming without buffering.
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Also I suspect the 3 Mbps requirement is for low quality streams - are you trying to use iPlayer at anything other than low quality?
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@brummygit wrote:

My understanding is that the QoS used by BT does not rely on the BT HomeHub and therefore using my own router should not be an issue, but it seems that my QoS does not work correctly. What can I do to try to resolve?

I always understood it was exactly the opposite - the Home Hub used QoS to prioritise Vision over other traffic.  Some other routers also implement QoS, though I wouldn't like to guess if it's in a way that's compatible with Vision.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Colin

Running the youview test on a quiet day confirms that I have enough bandwidth for HD on demand, but you are correct that the other usage is stealing too much bandwidth. Previously on BT Vision the QoS would protect me from such problems, but now I'm on YouView it doesn't seem to work properly.

Thanks

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Ectophile

I believe that I have read previously that the QoS is now implemented within the ATM fabric and does not rely on the HH, however I have messaged the mods as if a HH is required this immediately answers my questions.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

It may be that the multicast-enabled exchanges don't need QoS any more as they are set up to handle streaming video.

But is seems not to be working for you.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Ectophile

Here is the thread I've seen previously where it is stated that the HomeHub is not needed for BT Vision QoS http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/An-often-asked-question-with-no-definitive-answer-that-I...

It's worth my question to the mods to get a definitive answer.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

You are absolutely correct that this does sounds like a QoS issue, which is not related to the Home Hub. We are working with the BBC and other catch-up TV providers to use QoS for their on demand programmes on YouView (like we do for BT Vision+ boxes) and we expect to implement this in the next couple of months.

Please bear with us in the meantime.

Thanks

PaddyB

brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks PaddyB - this matches the reply I received directly by email.

So in summary the QoS which used to ensure BT Vision boxes performed well in situations like mine (where the BB connection is heavily used) is not yet available on YouView, but still "work in progress".

In my case, thats OK as my TP-Link router will allow me to implement a slightly more sledge hammer approach to QoS with bandwidth allocations to individual devices. This will save my sanity for the time being, and I am generally very happy with the YouView box since the January.

For many other users this might be worth pointing out before they 'upgrade' from BT Vision.

0 Ratings