Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jillianb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Zero download speed when Sky TV is switch on

Hi

thanks for the suggestions.

I dont actually have the phone line connected to the sky box.  I do have the ethernet cable from the sky box to the bt homehub. 

I was considering just unplugging the ethernet cable from the back of the sky box.  I normally just watch live tv or record stuff I want to watch, I dont often download from the 'on demand' service and I dont stream anything.  I will find out tonight if the skybox still works OK without the connection to the homehub.

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 12 of 19

Would it work if you use wifi to connect to the hub instead of the Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

I could be wrong but I don't think the hub supports multicast via wifi.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

@licquorice wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think the hub supports multicast via wifi.

I did not think the Sky box used multicast, as most content is delivered over satellite, its only catchup on the Internet connection, which is just a normal stream.

0 Ratings
jillianb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

....sky tv doesnt work at all if ethernet cable is disconnected.  baffles me slightly as the live tv, as I understood, comes via the satelite dish and only the download / on demand tv is via the internet.

i have gone through sky and switched off all on demand / rewind live tv options.... it has improved slightly but only to about 3mb download speed.  I do live in the country and only have 'standard' broadband available, but this is painful!  Next stop is to call sky later and see if they can help (!?)  

Will let you know if they have anything useful to update this post.

thanks

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 16 of 19

You should be able to watch sky tv without being connected to broadband. If our broadband goes down at anytime it doesn't interrupt watching sky. Very odd!

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Could it be something to do with your satellite connector or wiring set up perhaps.

0 Ratings
jillianb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

OK, so here is an update.... SKY helpdesk no help at all.  However that may have been a red herring as I could watch TV without the ethernet cable plugged in to the sky box (don't know what happened this first time I tried).  However when the ethernet cable to the homehub from the skybox was disconnected the broadband speed was still very very slow.

The only other thing I can come up with is that there is some sort of interference with the wifi when the television is switched on.  Has anyone herd of this before?  We have not changed any hardware or settings in the last year so it is bit strange it is happening now, but this is my last thought on the speed issue.

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Is the router close to the TV , can you move them away from each other to see if wifi improves.

0 Ratings