cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

a call from BT saying my accounts been hacked

as the tital says, they rang yesturday and straight away i noticed the background sounded like a bus station. anyways they said they were on the line to help as my account has been hacked and my internet was being used by a 3rd party i thought it was a fake call when they started going on and on regarding them not wanting my password which is fine but they wanted my 2-4 security code from my cerdit card i use to pay my bt bills with. this person could not speak even a small amount of good english and got alot of the words wrong. i have hoever changed my login password because my number is not listed in the public directory so it should not be open to anyone except for when logged into my account. has anyone else had any kind of issue like these over the last few days, can i point out also ive not recieved 1 email from bt with any issues im or my account is having.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: a call from BT saying my accounts been hacked

There are many scam calls doing the rounds and this sounds like this is just another one of them.

See this thread for the scale of these type of calls.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-Community-feedback/Possible-Scam/td-p/1655400

BT would not contact you to tell you that a third party was using your Internet. In fact BT would not usually contact you about anything other than if you had previously contacted them regarding a problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

thanks for your reply, i know what happens when an account has been activated via a 3rd party like my bt tv online was used by myself whilst running a vpn and the tv account and password were locked as standard by BT and an email sent explaining what has happened. this guy was not a member of BT's fraud department he couldn't even hold a string of words without mistakes being made and if my account was hacked and they looked at my added bank card from past payments they would have seen its not updated as im direct debit, and to even talk about a credit card when its meant to be my bt account hacked only made my suspicion a reality and was then i hung up on him and still changed my login passwords. i am however stumped at the fact that he has my home number as its not an old number and has never been made public the only calls from any kind of buying services are done by BT apart from that its only purpose is my internet is needed from the line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 4

They may not have your number, as you say. They could just dial any number either manually or by computer programme. Statistically if they get a response, it will be a BT customer (they have the greater number of customers), or they will get you to respond in some way to verify who is your ISP. 

It is probably down to the luck of the draw. They only need to con one or two people to make it worthwhile.

I receive cold calls and I am ex-directory.

Stew

0 Ratings