cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s-hames1988
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

activation

Hi, sorry if im in the wrong thread but we moved house about 3 1/2 months ago to a new build property. we had bt phone, bb and vision at our old place and needed it setting up in our new home. we have had about 15 weeks of hassel, no communication from bt (good for a telecommunication company) and endless 14p a minute phone calls via a mobile. every week we was told that the underground work would be done the following week which went on for about 5 weeks, then we was told that there was no equipment for about another 5 weeks. then we was told that there was no engineers to do the work for about 4 weeks. then out of the blue last week openreach knocked on the door and said we was priority over the rest of the estate and that bb, phone and vision should be up and running later that day if bt turn us on at the exchange. the next day i rang up and was told it would be up by the next day. the following day still no luck so i rang up and was told the same again. i left it till friday so openreach could update the system and then was told it should be sorted by today. got a phone call today saying we have to wait until next monday now but we told them they need to sort it out now or we shall cancel our £40+ a month contract and go with sky as we already have the tv packages with them. then about 1 hour ago i was told a neigbour down the road has now got internet via orange broadband but as far as im aware they need to be turned on at the bt exchange. so i just hope if anyone is about to shed some light about this.

thanks scott

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: activation

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

Openreach have a backlog of work due to the recent bad weather, so installation and repairs are taking much longer than normal.

You would still be in the same situation with Sky, as they use Openreach as well, so its best to wait until it is sorted.

0 Ratings
s-hames1988
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi  thanks for the response, all the work has been done by openreach (underground wiring, master socket) and the engineer said when we asked when it would be switched on "could be today but depends when bt switch you on at the exchange" my problem is including everything else is that a neighbour down the road has had there switched on at the exchange to enable them to have orange bb but why cant we be switched on.

thanks scott

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If the connection has been made in the exchange, then you may get a click when you pick up the phone. The connection will have to be activated in the exchange, but this is normally done overnight automatically.

0 Ratings
s-hames1988
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

The phone line is dead, no bb or bt vision. All I can think is because its a job of about 40+ house to be wired and etc perhaps all the work has not been finished i can see grey boxes outside everyone place but maybe there is some unfinished work. I've told 4 different advisors that our work has been completed but just keep getting the same response.

thanks scott

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

has the wiring from the external grey box to the interior of your house been connected i ask this as normally on new builds Openreach connect to the external grey box and the builders electricians connect up the internal wiring to the exterior box that may explain he problem your line is live to the external box but your internal wiring has not been connected
0 Ratings