Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

adsl2+_ speeds around 4mbps on hub 5 within 200m of cabinet

Go to solution

The location is approx 1k from the exchange, and probably within 200m of the local cabinet.  Openreach called yesterday after complaining that since the upgrade to the new hub (from hub2) there was no improvement. The exchange offers adsl2+, so according to other adsl2+ suppliers the min imum speed should be 10mbps.  The BT engineer said 4mbps was okay!!!!

In fact others in the area within a similar distance are getting on average between 15-19mbps.

Do we have ground to complain?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Jaithorn24
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: adsl2+_ speeds around 4mbps on hub 5 within 200m of cabinet

Go to solution

200m from the cabinet and approx 1000m from the exchange doesn't quite work that way. It's very rare that exchange cables are "as the crow flies" so to speak. You may be 1200m from the excahnge (including cabinet distance) but your line may be 1500-3000m long. It could also be that you're not on the exchange you think you're on. When you signed up to BT, your confirmation email would have stated your Minimum Guarentee.  Check your confirmation email, or request a copy of it resent to your email address, check the min guarenteed speed. Then, go to speedtest.btwholesale.com on a WIRED connection (wifi speeds are impacted by way too many variables for an accurate reading). if this speed is more than 10% lower than that minimum, ring up and get it looked at (the 10% is loss over home wiring and device compensation which BT can't control).

0 Ratings
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Sorry I didn't make it clear, the distances I quoted were not as the crow flies, but as the cables are laid.  Secondly Samknows tells us exactly which exchange we are on. Thirdly we are connected to the master nte5 socket. And finally, the upgrade to the exchange 2 years ago to adsl2+, means that the minimum speed on adsl of 1mbps is no longer applicable.  The minimum speed for adsl2+ given by an Openreach local loop provider is 10mbps; I'm pretty positive if we threatened to leave or were about to join BT they would give us a very similar figure, rather different to 4mbps, don't you think?

But thank you for your alternative ideas.

PS we are also using ethernet csables, and the speed of 4mbps is from the BT Wholesale website..........

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Enter your phone number and post results remember delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

if number does not work use address

can you post stats from your router and the attenuation will give good idea of distance from exchange

distance from cabinet in itself means nothing on adsl it I said distance from exchange to home that counts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yes I am aware of that it just repeats what I said previously 10 to 19.5mbps - so as I said 4mbps  (note its the same as it was before the homehub was upgraded) is not really acceptible.   On another line locally similar distance  is 8.5 to 18.5, in facts Speedtest gives 19.5!!  I appreciate what you say about  attenuation, but there again as  this is an external issue which the engineer should have picked up.

I am apolectic that todays engineer visit did nothing, clearly as the issues are external to the property.

Thanks for trying but really doesn't answer my question.  My question originally is do we have basis for complaining?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Distance to the cab is irrelevant, it's distance to the exchange , the split between E side and D side distance doesn't matter with ADSL/ADSL2+... if the exchange has only recently been upgraded to ADSL2+, you may still be on ADSL  8Mb Max, not ADSL2+ .

Post your router stats, you should be able to tell from the modulation what type of ADSL you currently have, as well as attenuation and noise margin etc...if you are on ADSL,but expecting ADSL2+ performance,  then a visit from OR wouldn't help as there isn't necessarily anything wrong with the 'line' .....AFAIK, if you are on ADSL when ADSL2+ is available , eventually you would be automatically moved onto the newer kit , but a request to the Mods on here ( or possibly by calling your ISP) could shuffle you up the 'upgrade'  list.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

without you posting the information from dslchecker, stats from your and results from Btspeedtester I find it hard to say what speed your line can attain

not sure what this means ' The minimum speed for adsl2+ given by an Openreach local loop provider is 10mbps' as there is no minimum speed for customers on adsl2/2+ as can be seen from many posts on the forum.  however if your current adslmax speed is only 4mb then a change to ads2 will not immediately give you 10mb speed  if you enter your attenuation then this link will give expected speed for both adslmax and adls2/2+  

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
robmar0se
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Problem solved - spoke to BT this morning - their support has improved dramatically over the last 6 months, if you know what you're talking about.

Apparently the customer was on a very old BT package, which did not automatically upgrade to adsl2+ when introduced - maybe mistakenlyI assumed that with a hub2 this was the reason - not the case in this instance.   BT have flicked a switch and is now on adsl2+ - in addition the client is also saving £24 pa so worth persevering.

Not for us to reason why the custromer spoke to BT, or when she called an BT Openreach engineer in they didn't pick this up.

0 Ratings