cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rc1086
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

advice for a technophobe please

Hi,  our telephone line enters our house at the rear and  our bt hub is at the rear of the house, i want to connect my bt tv box to the internet in the front room and i want to be able to connect our smart tv to the internet at the rear of the house can anyone advise ithe best way to do this, I want to avoid cables from one end of the house to the other if possible. Im sorry i really dont have a clue how these things work and bt chat and telephone help lines havent been much help.....so keep it simple for me please.........thanks in advance    Bob   

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: advice for a technophobe please

0 Ratings
rc1086
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

many thanks licquorice,  as slow on the uptake as I am I had actually looked at these, however i decided to ask the experts at bt because i didnt understand how they worked............i started on the chat service, they didnt mention them, i then spoke to two seperate people by telephone and didnt fair any better,  very frustrating no one was very knowledgable about the options.

Do you have any preference on which brand is best, any down side to them that you know of ?   thanks in advance, Bob

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Basically they just use your mains wiring as a means of connecting Ethernet rather than using a discrete cable. The difference between the 2 versions that I linked to is that the second ones also provide a wifi hotspot as well as the Ethernet socket at the remote location, both are dependant on the quality of your mains wiring. I have a pair of the earlier version of the hotspot and they work fine.  You don't have to use BT ones, any make will do, some are cheaper than others.

0 Ratings
rc1086
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

even clearer now thank you very much..........house has just been fully rewired so cabling is good, ill give them a go tomorrow  thanks again

0 Ratings
kiran111
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Try https://www.faculty-x.net/ 

Brilliant for powerline adaptors and anything network related.

0 Ratings