cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

alternative to bt hub 6

what is the best alternative to be bt hub 6, something that isnt too expensive upto 100 or will consider upto 150 and does cover a 3 story house. fiber to fibre connection that will work with the openreach fiber box

thanks

as the hub they supplied is a completely the worst router any broadbander ever issues, looses connection all the time, cant access management when it stops randomly, then 5 minutes later comes back to life, tried restore fine for few days then all happens over again

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: alternative to bt hub 6

I assume you are on FTTP, with an Openreach fibre modem?

In that case, all you need is a wireless router with two or more external wireless aerials, there are plenty to chose from.

All wireless routers have the same power output, so price is not going to make a a lot of difference to the wireless range.

Some are just basic routers, and others have USB file sharing.

Prices would start at about £30 upward. You may find that a cheaper one, with the addition of a couple of extra wireless hotspots, would give better coverage, that a single, more expensive router.

A TP Link TL-WR841N 300 Mbs wireless router at £17.99 is a basic unit, and may be worth trying as it very popular.

You could always add extra wireless points.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi
Yes that is correct.
I was looking at these any ideas if any of theses would be recommended?, and if i was to purchase i just remove the hub and dont need to keep the hub pluugged in?

Linksys EA6900 Dual Band Wireless Router

Linksys T Wi-Fi Router AC1900b

Linksys AC3200 Dual Band Router

Linksys AC1900 Gigabit Router

TP-Link AC1350 D-Band Archer and C60 C-Router

Netgear AC 2300 Nighthawk Wireless Router

Asus RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual Band Router

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Personally, I would not spend anything like that sort of money, unless you are desperate for dual band, which only has a very limited range.

The cheap one I suggested is likely to be fine. You can see the reviews on Amazon.

Do you have BT YouView, as that is going to limit your choice of router, as it will have to cope with multicast?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Ok
Thanks, No only smart TVs, iPads, tablets using the internet, and laptops/pcs, printers, around 4-6devices using it at one time.
Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@sb4100 wrote:
Ok
Thanks, No only smart TVs, iPads, tablets using the internet, and laptops/pcs, around 4-6devices using it at one time.
Thanks

What speed is your FTTP connection?

The one I suggested has 300Mb wireless, and four Ethernet ports, and should be fine for what you want to do.

Its always best to connect smart TVs using an Ethernet cable if possible, to save wasting wireless bandwidth.

You should be able to connect its WAN port directly to the Openreach modem.

You will need to enter the PPPoE login details, you can use broadbanduser@btbroadband.com, and a password of bt.

I would be inclined to try that and see how it works out, sooner than spend any more money.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Upto 76mbs i did want originally wired connections but as was new build very hard to run cabling throughout house, had a nightmare just running Ethernet to second floor cctv unit.
Thanks
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Will look into that one
thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@sb4100 wrote:
Will look into that one
thanks

Well if you are only getting 76Mbs, then its not worth spending lots of money on a wireless router, unless you want to transfer very large files between devices, over your wireless network.

Basic wireless routers are quite cheap, because they are popular on cable systems as well, so are mass produced.

They are also very simple devices, as they do not have to cope with ADSL or VDSL line frequencies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

@sb4100

There is an emulator on this link, if you want to look at it.

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-WR841ND_v9/Index.htm

WAN type setting would be PPPoE, which will take you to the login screen, where you would enter the details I gave you.

0 Ratings