cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

anger at Bt Cloud upgrades

Bt cloud is driving me up the wall. Many months ago I installed the software on my PC. Started to backup my system. Had to stop as it was going to take about 4 weeks to upload all my data (500GB). Aborted all that and created a selective list of folders to back up. Aborted that as subfolder also slowed down the upload because of amount of data. Final backup created with a very cut down and carefully selected set of important folders (255GB). This process took weeks.

Eventually achieved a backup on web site with all my folder structure maintained. Most recent upgrade has now LOST all that structure and tree which will make it impossible to restore any of the data should I lose a disk. I now have multiple web folders of the same names which on my PC system are sub folders within folders.

Next upgrade has been to my desktop application (BTCloud_16.3.18.10_Production.exe). This new update simple freezes whenever I have tried to use it. It will lock and I have had to use Task Manager to “End Task”. It also interferes with McAfee which goes into overdrive and hammers my disk 92% to 98% making PC Unusable. Switch of Bt Cloud and my system settles down to normal.

So my solution? I have un-installed Bt Cloud to re-install a clean updated version of Bt Cloud. Result is that all my backup links are now lost. I no longer have automatic backup to ensure my up to date work is preserved. Yes all my data is still in the cloud but unconnected. Is there a way to point Bt Cloud to the original backup list?

I have now re-installed the very first version of the application (BTCloudWindows.exe) which I kept. This works, at least it does not freeze or kill my PC, but all connections still lost.

My only option seems to be to re-upload all the **bleep** folders again taking the same weeks to achieve. I am self employed illustrator; I do not have time to fight this insane program. I am very tech savvy (past developer) so this not a user issue. Is there a solution to all this insanity?

I bought the infinity broadband package to include the Cloud option because it seemed the ideal solution. My stupidity has been to ditch “DropBox” which worked perfectly but gave me more cloud space than I needed at a cost.

Is there anybody from BT on this forum who can give me a solution. A professional system for backups is meant to work and the user should have 100% confidence in using it. Some people’s livelihoods depend on these systems.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: anger at Bt Cloud upgrades

The solution is to pop down your friendly local computer store and buy a 1TB external USB hard disk.  Back up all your important files onto it.  Then unplug it and put the disk somewhere nice and safe - either in a different building or a fire-resistant box.

Then you never have to worry about some flaky online backup system ever again.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Better still, make two copies. External hard disks are not expensive, compared with the loss of valuable data.

Just keep a note when the last backup was taken, so you can update the contents.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Do remember that the 'Cloud' can be 'Up' 100% of the time and then some b****y workmen dig a hole in the ground!

Been there twice, once at home and once business.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I do have all these backup systems in place. I have been working with large computers systems for close to 40 years before going freelance. I have a two disk raid on my PC to shadow my work and I have an external drive, I also use the free part of Microsoft One Drive to store a further copy of immediate projects, but the cloud is there as the main of-site backup and as such is very important. But surely the whole point of Bt Cloud is that you can get accesses to your data anywhere. I travel a lot with a laptop and I use the cloud to update and retrieve information and to share material. Also should my laptop fail I have a backup in the cloud to re-build the laptop. But most important is that I am paying money to BT. I entered into a contract to pay them money for a system and that system should work, a lawyer might say that is a possible breach of contract by BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

There's an awfil lot of get-out clauses in BT's T&Cs for BT Cloud.  There's also one that says that you must not use it for any business purpose.  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/feb2017btcloud.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 7 of 7

Hi @incandescent,

Sorry we've managed to frustrate you with BT Cloud!

Your folder structure isn't lost - it's all still backed up and organised correctly, but it might currently not look that way if you look at it through the 'All My Files' view on the BT Cloud website. We made some performance tweaks to the website to speed up load times, but this ended up flattening the file structure more than we wanted to when accessed via the All My Files view. Our developers are working on restoring the full file structure right now (without losing the performance improvements), and I'm aiming to get the problem fixed before the Easter holidays.

In the mean time, you can still access your full file structure through several other ways:

• By going to the 'All Files' section on our iOS, Android or Windows Phone Apps
  • By using the 'Restore' button in our Windows PC and Mac OS X software. You can find instructions on how to use this feature here, under 'How can I use BT Cloud to restore content from a computer that I've previously backed up'.
  • You can also use the search bar on the BT Cloud website to search for a specific file or folder.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings